Replaced rectifier/regulator and now Force won't start

tteal

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Errr... :) I replaced the rectifier/regulator yesterday in hopes that would fix/correct my issue with my tach. I also replaced my spark plugs.<br /><br />Here's the scenario: <br /><br />- Dropped boat in the water<br />- Tried to turn over boat, starter worked and it tried turning over.<br />- Tried turning over again, however, this time all I got was a "humming" noise.<br />- Tried tuning over again, I could see that the gauges were working (i.e. power was getting to the gas gauge becuase it was moving). <br />- Verified that the connection on the rectifier was good (i.e. all wiring was just like it was with the older rectifier).<br /><br />My questions:<br /><br />- If the rectifier is bad, will it cause a "no start" situation?<br />- Could I have possibly blown a fuse? If so, what fuse would I have blown and where do I start looking?<br /><br />Anyone have some advice? <br /><br />Thank you,<br /> Tim

The Marine Doctor

Commander
Re: Replaced rectifier/regulator and now Force won't start

Chances are that if you had a bad rectifier...your battery is likely low and will not let the engine turn over.<br /><br />TMD

tteal

Petty Officer 2nd Class

MarineDoctor,<br /> Thank you for your quick reply. I've done lots of work on my supercharged Mustang, however, this outboard is pretty frustrating and I'm on the "learning curve" :) <br /><br /> I checked the voltage on both batteries and they both are reading 12.5V. <br /><br /> If the rectifier is not wired up correctly, would that cause it to not start and not even get current to the starter?<br /><br />Thanks,<br /> Tim

tteal

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Anyone else have any suggestions? <br /><br />Thank you.

The Marine Doctor

Commander

If there is no power to the solenoid...check the neutral start switch. Sometimes you will have to wiggle the shifter to align it.<br /><br />TMD

tteal

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Marine Doctor,<br /> I checked the neutral safety and don't believe that's the problem. I'm almost leaning towards the rectifier issue... I'm assuming that if it's wired wrong and/or bad, the boat won't start/get current to the starter?<br /><br />Thanks,<br /> Tim

lonewolf5347

Chief Petty Officer

TT DISCONNECT THE RECTIFIER AND SEE IF IT START ALSO THERE SHOULD BE A MAIN FUSE SOMEWERE UNDER THE ENGINE COVER OR A BREAKER ON MY 120 FORCE THE 20 AMP. FUSE WAS LOCATED RIGHT SIDE JUST UNDER THE RECTIFIER.DO YOU HAVE A WIRING DIAGRAM DO YOU NEED ONE SHOOT ME A E MAIL BE gLAD TO SEND YOU ONE lonewolf5347@cs.com