Replaced my cracked trim/tilt reservoir, found this in it,and where is the ventscrew?

supersizeme

Cadet
So I've got an 1987 Alpha 1 Drive and I checked the reservoir the other day and it was cracked! I guess most of the fliud leaked out and I ordered the part.

So, when I took it off to replace it I found this!!! It's a goop of grease !

Anyways, I replaced the reservoir with a new one. And I read about the Mercrusier Maintainace Manual and I'm having trouble with it. It says that I have to unscrew the vent screw twice. I have tried to do that and it wont move at all... not even budge! I used a screw driver and it didn't work so I tried to put a key across and it bent my key.

I've included a picture of the drive pump so

Can somebody tell me exactly how to add fliud or get to the vent screw? and what exactly was that grease in the old cracked reservoir?

Thanks

Attachments

• phpjDgcJ7AM.jpg
    phpjDgcJ7AM.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 0

Fun Times

Staff member
Re: Replaced my cracked trim/tilt reservoir, found this in it,and where is the ventsc

So I've got an 1987 Alpha 1 Drive and I checked the reservoir the other day and it was cracked! I guess most of the fliud leaked out and I ordered the part.

So, when I took it off to replace it I found this!!! It's a goop of grease !

Anyways, I replaced the reservoir with a new one. And I read about the Mercrusier Maintainace Manual and I'm having trouble with it. It says that I have to unscrew the vent screw twice. I have tried to do that and it wont move at all... not even budge! I used a screw driver and it didn't work so I tried to put a key across and it bent my key.

I've included a picture of the drive pump so

Can somebody tell me exactly how to add fliud or get to the vent screw? and what exactly was that grease in the old cracked reservoir?

Thanks
[IMHO] I would not turn the vent screw at all, Just put the reservoir on and fill it up between the low and hi side, But stay on the low side at first and run it up and down a few times and watch the oil level while triming it up and down, And then fill it the rest of the way to max on the side of the reservoir With the drive all the way DOWN, chances are the adapter has the enough oil in it already that you don't need to play with the vent, When running it up and down for testing just leave the cap off, you should be fine. The other screw you asked about is for taking the trim pump motor off the adapter, The adapter is the main controll of all the pressures settings for the trim system.All that grease is just old oil build up from sitting, That is one of the reasons why they say change your oils in your engines, To try to stop that from happing.But if you feel you still need to turn it you could try to find the right size screwdriver with a area to put a wrench on it for leverage to turn it, And you might need to carfully heat the area a little with a heat gun to help brake it loose. Or the other way might be with a impact driver to brake it loose, I believe it has some kind of lock tight on the screw B/C I remember they are on there varry tight.I hope this helps you a little and good luck with it.

supersizeme

Cadet
Re: Replaced my cracked trim/tilt reservoir, found this in it,and where is the ventsc

has anyone tried it without the vent screw safely without damaging anything...