Replaced Gimbel Bearing,Now It Leaks

Flames

Seaman
posted 08-15-2004 01:27 PM <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Hello everyone, I just replaced the Gimbel bearing(did I spell that right? :confused: ) and took it out today and the bearing works great but I have water streaming in now and it looks like its coming from around the drive shaft, could this be the seal that goes around the u-joint drive shaft?<br /><br />I have a picture of the upper gear case break down and it looks like there are 2 o-rings in that area but I dont remember any.<br /><br /><br />Can anyone here think of what I might have done wrong?<br /><br />Oh, and I didnt replace that seal either, I wished I would have now .<br /><br /><br />Thanks Rudy

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Replaced Gimbel Bearing,Now It Leaks

The seal behind the gimbal bearing wouldn't have helped. It isn't particularly effective, but then it's not really supposed to be. There shouldn't be any water in there. You either have a tear in your bellows, or the drive isn't sealing against the bell housing. There is a large rubber O-ring that fits against the inner rim of the bell housing. If that came out of position while you were assembling it, that could cause a slow leak. Same with the gasket if that tore. The two orings on the shaft are fairly inconsequential. They're there more to keep the shaft from siezing to the bearing. I suspect you have a leak in the bellows and that's what took out the first gimbal bearing.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

what kind of drive are you dealing with?

Flames

Seaman

Thanks WillyBWright and rodbolt, <br /><br />Willy, I think you may be right, I did see a tear in the u-joint bellow but did not think anything about it. I didnt think it could-would leak enough to matter. I guess if no one else has any thoughts I will change the bellow out.<br /><br /><br />rodbolt, I have a 1986 Searay Seville with 3.0 4cyl.,and an OMC Cobra outdrive.<br /><br />Thanks for all replys, Rudy

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Here I was thinking it was a MerCruiser. But except fot the big o-ring in the bell housing, everything else still applies.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> you really should replace the gimbal bearing agin as well as the ujoints. I also reccomend replacing the input shaft seal as it will usually develop rust on the yoke and damage the seal causing the oil to leak from the upper drive into the bellows causing an upper drive failure.<br /> good luck and keep posting

Flames

Seaman

Ok, thanks again, but is the bellow the likely suspect for the leaking water in the boat ?<br /><br />Thanks Rudy

Flames

Seaman

I also remember that the bellow had a tear in it when I took it apart (which is probaly the reason the bearing went out) and it did not have a leak before.<br /><br /><br />Thanks Rudy

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

if it has a tear odds are that is what caused the failure and now that the new bearing was soaked it will most likely fail again. replace the bellows. on a cobra if you remove the exhaust bellows the drive bellows can be changed without removing the gimbal assy. pay attention to the position of the new bellows at installation. most cobra bellows are not marked top or aft. good luck and keep posting

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

A leaking u-joint bellow is bad, note for next time if you see any damage or cracks in it, replace it. The exhaust bellow can/will have slits in it, that's OK. No water should be able to get into the u-joint area at all. Water=rust=bad.

Flames

Seaman

Thanks everyone, I took it back down tonight and it was very wet.<br /><br />I got the bearing cleaned up and lubed and think it will be ok. <br /><br />Thanks again, Rudy