Replace with Original parts or own choice

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer
After following lots of threads in the repair and maintenance sections of iboats there seems to be those who like me always use what the maufacturer recommends and those who want to uses something different (like automotive parts) which is always the cause of great debate. <br /><br />So what do you do , try to save a few $$$'s or just stick to manufacturers recommendations.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Replace with Original parts or own choice

You know, I don't understand.<br />I don't own an i/o, but do know that stuff like starters have to be of a certain type as not to cause a fire and why anyone would shortcut that is beyond me. :rolleyes:

xikxak

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tough question.I use OEM parts generally from ebay or aftermarket parts designed for marine use GLM,Sierra etc. Never use automotive parts. ;)

cmyers_uk

I don't own an i/o, but do know that stuff like starters have to be of a certain type as not to cause a fire
Totally agree, but reading the posts there seems to be a whole lot of people who disagree which is the reason for the poll. But the question is hy am I surprised we have the Darwin awards dont we.

cmyers_uk

Davexx,<br /><br />When you choose the after market parts is it down to price? and how have you found these to compare, have they been worth the savings?<br /><br />Regards<br /><br />Chris

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yea and we have the sign thing also.<br /><br />Here's your sign

fixin

Back when I worked as a boat mechanic,in the winter when things were slow,I would help out(hang out)in the parts department.One day a guy comes in and wants a relay for the starting circuit for a Onan gen. on his houseboat.The parts guy breaks out the Onan parts book and shows the guy.$360 or close to.<br />The guy gripes a little and orders it.After the guy has left,the parts guy breaks out another parts book and orders the exact same relay for 23 bucks.I was shocked to say the least and had a few choice words for the parts guy(POS).Anyway,take it for what it's worth.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

SOme parts are no longer available from manufacturer, so you have to go aftermarket for them, such as buying Sierra parts from the local napa store for your Chrysler motor.<br /><br /> And some parts are too expensive from the manufacturer.<br /><br />If it comes down to a safety issue, I would use oem or equivelent.<br /><br />Are we talking about i/o starters and the like, or any boat/motor part?

xikxak

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by Chris Myers:<br /> Davexx,<br /><br />When you choose the after market parts is it down to price? and how have you found these to compare, have they been worth the savings?<br /><br />Regards<br /><br />Chris
It comes down to price and convienence(sp)I,ve never had a failure on an aftermarket product.I've never did a total rebuild either. Dave

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

fixin<br /> I run into that daily, however if the part # does not specify its for an application I wont use or sell it. sometimes the onan bag or the blue and white volvo-penta boxes are rather pricey. but if something goes wrong and the guy gets a darwin I dont want to go to court and tell the families lawyer I sold or installed a part not specified in the parts manual. will I use sierra or other aftermarket parts? sometimes. but some I have had problems with, most noteably fuel bowl gaskets on OMC stuff so I dont use anything but factory for that now.<br />wanna switchbox or stator for your black anchor? sierra gives a 1yr warrenty verses 30-90 days from merc. so after 16 years of doing this and 11 of them owning the business I have learned a few things and rarely make the parts mistake twice.

cmyers_uk

rodbolt,<br /><br />I guess it comes down to if like me your an amateur (really amateur) its very hard to know which bits are OK v which are not. Therefore I order VP parts only and at least know Ive paid over the odds but it will work.<br /><br />Fixin,<br /><br />If I can order the same part from a different supplier for that sort of discount I would be pissed but its knowing where to get it from. At least when stuffs delivered it comes in the right wrapper, but accept that its well overpriced.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

chris<br /> most of what I know about what parts will work and what wont is cause I paid the second repair from my pocket. its not that I know more its I have installed and eaten more. but like you I have found over the years that if ya buy it from the manufacturer it fits and works, usually if there was an update the instructions come with it.years ago when I was a happy pup and the delco HEI was new wefound the cheapK-mart rotors would burn out in 10,000 miles. the factory delco or heavy duty blue streak would go 50-70K caps were the same. so not all expensive parts are good and not all cheap parts are reliable. but usually ya get what ya pay for.

fixin

My point was-to make sure your getting what your paying for.This was a large parts distributer in our area.As far as the packaging,I'm sure they would just say they opened to make sure it was the wright part and put it in their own packaging or something.

NYMINUTE

Captain

When it comes to my vessel, recommended parts only. Don't want to get stranded over a couple of $$. Vehicles are different. Then I go as I see best fit. So far it works.