replace water pump ( How often ? )

Rodster44

Seaman
Hi
I have a 1999 150 HP Johnson Ocean Pro. How ofter should the water pump impeller be changed ? I think mine is original but not sure. It is putting out a good stream.
Thanks Rod

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: replace water pump ( How often ? )

That is an excellent question, for which there is no hard and fast answer. The quality of the impellers varies too much. The bottom line is how much do you want to risk destroying your engine? Once the pump fails and you cook the pistons it is all over. Coulda/Shoulda. You are on 8 years.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

With a newly acquired used motor, you don't know how strong it pees with a new impeller. Lot of folks say 2 years I go 3 years or 4. Probably a lot of 10, 15-year-old impellers still in service - but it's not too much effort considering the potential consequences. But it is too much effort, considering the cost of parts, to *not* replace it regardless of condition, once you open 'er up for inspection. Just my opinion of course.

If the housing is scored *at all*, do the full pump kit.

It is easy enough to replace it with a little help from a freind. Each time I aquire a different boat, that is the first thing we do is replace the impeller and gear oil. It is a good thing to be familar with doing.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

If you have a water pressure gauge, it will give you a good idea as to the state of the impeller. If you make a note of the water pressure with a new impeller and those reading start to fall off over time, then you may need to service the water pump. I usually change every 2 or 3 years, but in the past have gone as long as 10...

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Gages and horns and lights; All that stuff is a false sense of security. When you are running along at full throttle and the impeller spins on it's hub or sheds it's blades, it is all over. You will fry the powerhead before any of those gadgets will have a chance to warn you. It only takes a few seconds.

iwombat

Captain

Anytime you ask yourself "Should I replace the impeller?", you should replace the impeller.