Replace steering on 20' pontoon

pontoonsaloon

Seaman Apprentice
Ok guys I'm having a brain freeze here! It's been 4-5 years since I restored my old pontoon and stupidly sold it and went back to camping. I recently bought a 1989 Landau 20'. It is in nice condition, floor,carpet,seats,bimini, and the force 50hp. sounds good and starts easy. The main problem is the steering,very hard to turn. So,like my old one, I'm going to replace the cable and helm. I can't remember how I did it. I bought the other one without a motor but I knew the steering was bad so I bought the new package from Iboats. I don't remember if I had the new motor on first or if I had the new steering on first?? Looking at this pontoon, it doesn't appear the big nut that tightens the cable on the motor will go through the aluminum hole(with gromet). So I'm not sure which end i need to start from, the motor end or the helm end. And will I be able to tie a rope to the old cable or tie the new cable to the old one? I just can't for the life remember what the heck I did??
Thanks for any help to this old boater!!

Last edited:

pontoonsaloon

Seaman Apprentice
By the way,I was an old member when I had my old pontoon but I couldn't remember my old sign in name so i had to start from scratch here!
By the way, I love this site☺

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
PM the mods, they can look up your old info and get you going again. Also, it would probably make the most sense to measure your old cable, cut it out of the boat, unbolt the old helm, then fish the new cable and helm in and go boating

pontoonsaloon

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks Scott but unless I can remember my old sign in name that though probabably wouldn't work, As far as cutting the old cable that's a decent idea but getting the new cable back in that "cave" and out the original hole still poses a dilemma! Unless I can route the cable in from the motor end and up to the helm. Unbolting the motor and lifting/moving it around doesnt sound appealing!

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
pontoonsaloon,
I'm not certain I understand the challenge, but I'll give it a try. After you detach the old steering cable from both ends, it should be clear that it's easier to pull it out in one direction than the other (e.g., that big nut might make it necessary to pull from the engine end). If there is something in the way (e.g., the engine or helm console), you'll no choice but to move or remove it. I'd attach a flexible steel wire to the other end before I removed the old cable so there will be something to use to pull the new cable in later. .... It sounds like you want to remove it from the engine end but the engine is in the way. Other than removing the engine, the only other idea I can suggest is to enlarge the opening in the boat near the engine where the old cable comes out. That might give you enough room to swing the cable around the engine after it is disconnected from the engine. .... When I swapped engines on my boat, I had to move the engine away from the cable end enough to slide the cable into the engine housing before I moved the engine back over to its proper position.

P.S.
There is nothing that says the new cable has to follow the same path as the old one. If it would be easier to install the new cable along a different path, I'd consider that even if it meant buying a slightly longer cable.

Last edited:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
While you probably do need a steering update;you may want to unhook the motor and check that it turns as it should.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
1st things 1st...Make sure you need a new steering cable. On a 20' Landau I believe you will have to unbolt the engine from the transom to get the cable out of the steering tube. Once you have done this turn the steering wheel with out cable in the tube, you may find it turns easily. In that case you just need to clean the tube. A tube reamer or 10GA shotgun brush can work wonders.

If it still doesn't turn it's usually easiest to replace the cable and rotary or rack as a unit. Follow manufactures directions for measuring the old cable.

pontoonsaloon

Seaman Apprentice
1st things 1st...Make sure you need a new steering cable. On a 20' Landau I believe you will have to unbolt the engine from the transom to get the cable out of the steering tube. Once you have done this turn the steering wheel with out cable in the tube, you may find it turns easily. In that case you just need to clean the tube. A tube reamer or 10GA shotgun brush can work wonders.

If it still doesn't turn it's usually easiest to replace the cable and rotary or rack as a unit. Follow manufactures directions for measuring the old cable.

Well it sounds as though unbolting the motor may have to happen :-(
I haven't been able to spend much time surveying both ends of the steering or even trying to force some grease in the tube zerts. Unfortunately I don't have a storage building or garage to work on it the winter. ( I'm working on that) Right now it has its cover on with a tarp over that so I can't even get contortioned enough to get in front of the motor and try to get grease and or some heat on the tube. To be honest,after I tried turning the steering wheel the 1st time and saw how hard it was, I just assumed new steering was in order.
Thankyou for your help/reply.

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
I replaced mine this summer, installed id from the stern to the helm. The new cable was much more flexible than the old to make the bends required but stiff enough to not need a string to get it where it needed to go.

pontoonsaloon

Seaman Apprentice
I replaced mine this summer, installed id from the stern to the helm. The new cable was much more flexible than the old to make the bends required but stiff enough to not need a string to get it where it needed to go.

Did u have to lift or move the motor?

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
I did move the motor when I took it off because I was also replacing the transom pod. But the motor was Installed before I replaced the cable and the new cable was flexible enough to get away with leaving it in place. The old cable was way to stiff so I would have just cut it if I didn't Hafta take the motor off anyway. I put the new one on the engine tube first then fished the rest of the cable up to the helm and it worked out pretty good with no helpers.

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
I also went with the no feedback helm and holy crap is that nice! I did the 4.2 turn version and with i would have stuck with the standard 3 turn for the barge.

Illinoid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When I replaced mine this year I used some of the old parts on the new cable because I thought that were better quality and looked better. I wish I had bought the new one a little longer so the corners in the cable would not be so tight. It did make steering a lot easier.

pontoonsaloon

Seaman Apprentice
Did u have to lift or move the motor?

Yes my buddy has a hoist in his shop so that's what I'll use when it comes time. I guess in the meantime, weather permitting I'll get the old cable out and pull a heavy rope along with it. I'm not gonna get too worried, it'll happen. Just wish I had use of his shop all winter!

Illinoid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you use a larger braided rope instead of twisted. You should be able to push the end of he cable into the rope so it will guide it past obstructions easier. I think when I pull it in I would probably pull an extra small nylon rope and leave it in in case I ever had to pull another wire through there in the future. (and yes I know that once a rope is on the boat it magically becomes a line)