Replace side mount controls

sbs_59

Cadet
Looking to replace the side mount controller that came with a 1998 25 HP 4 stroke Mariner bigfoot outboard. The cables are not long enough for the boat I'm building and I would like to upgrade to newer technology controls. I'm trying to determine if Mercs newer line of controls would replace the original Quicksilver commander 2000 as a simple swap, or will all the wiring provided be different from the original setup. It's an 8 pin connection. Will the wiring from the controller to gauges, etc. be different? Hard to find detailed wiring diagrams that might help me with this.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The binnacle and side mount should be able to swap right out.
The newer shifters , Not sure.

sbs_59

Cadet
I would assume the 8 pin connection would be the same configuration, but it's the extra wireing for tilt/trim etc, connections at the motor I can't figure out. Seems to be additional wires and colors on the newer types that I can't get details on. Also from the controller unit as well.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I would assume the 8 pin connection would be the same configuration, but it's the extra wireing for tilt/trim etc, connections at the motor I can't figure out. Seems to be additional wires and colors on the newer types that I can't get details on. Also from the controller unit as well.

Power Trim and tilt wires are external since some, not all engines have such. Also Over Temp/Low oil, wires are external. Simple process, if your engine doesn't have these amenities, just leave the wires unsecured.

Commander 2000 and 3000 remotes (2000 mounts TO the surface of the bulkhead with it and wiring/control cables exposed whereas the 3000 mounts IN the bulkhead which hides the cables and controls.

I find the 2000 is easier to use the fast idle control for initial starting.

With the 3000 you have to depress a disconnect button on the lever to get the shift/throttle lever to operate the throttle only, in the warmup mode. Once warm up is completed, returning the lever to the N position will reengage shift function and the single lever again performs both functions simultaneously.