Replace propeller shaft seal, 1989 50 hp Force

Bob Alexander

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 27, 2006
Messages
3
The propeller shaft seal in the bearing cage of my 1989 50 hp Force is leaking oil. I have ordered the seal but not received yet. Since the seal is behind the pressed in propeller shaft ball bearing, will I need to pull the bearing to replace the seal? If so does this take a special puller or could I expect to be able to go to a tool rental store and get a puller that would work? Thanks for any advice.
 

RRitt

Captain
Joined
Mar 30, 2006
Messages
3,319
Re: Replace propeller shaft seal, 1989 50 hp Force

it is a standard BUNA o-ring. If the rubber is crystalizing in one seal then it is probably crystalizing in others. You should seriously consider replacing all seals. <br /><br />use your caliper to measure the inside diameter of the groove and the width of the groove. then order an as568a-xxx o-ring per those measurements. should cost you about $0.17ea<br />if cost is no object and you want only the best then order a quad ring (aka double sealing o-ring). I could run you as much as $1.50 each.<br /><br />while you are at it - use your caliper to measure the prop shaft diameter, cup diamter, and cup depth for your oil seal. then use a standard dual lip CR seal with SS spring and cup. It should cost you about $3.50.<br /><br />Alternatively, just go to Ebay and order an entire lower unit seal kit for $20-$30. You'll get standard o-rings instead of quads. However, I think the wisest course of action is to install new seal kit and impeller every spring. The cost of maintenance is always cheaper in the long run than the cost of repair.
 

RRitt

Captain
Joined
Mar 30, 2006
Messages
3,319
Re: Replace propeller shaft seal, 1989 50 hp Force

how did you find that? every time I put an fkxx number into iboat search i get 5 pages of unrelated products.
 

Bob Alexander

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 27, 2006
Messages
3
Re: Replace propeller shaft seal, 1989 50 hp Force

Thanks guys. I did order it at iboats plus a bunch of other repairs. My concern was if I will be able to replace it without pulling the prop shaft bearing. After a closer look it looks like it will probably be flexable enough to replace it without pullimg the bearing.
 

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Joined
Jun 24, 2003
Messages
4,182
Re: Replace propeller shaft seal, 1989 50 hp Force

If the bearing cage on a force is the same as a chrysler which I am pretty sure it is that seal is a real pain to get off the cage. Removing the bearing is the easy part. It took me a weekend to get that seal out and I was sure it was part of the carrier till I finally used a pair of combination pliers and it came out.
 

Bob Alexander

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 27, 2006
Messages
3
Re: Replace propeller shaft seal, 1989 50 hp Force

You are right eurolarva. Getting the bearing out was the easy part. I drove the seal out part way thru the prop shaft hole in the cage with a small hammer and a large screwdriver, then grabbed it with some channel locks and pulled it out the rest of the way. I'm now ready to get it all back together and get back on the water as soon as I receive the seals from iboat. Thanks
 
Top