replace oil filter on VP 5.0 GI PEFS

billkal

Cadet
I have the quicksilver oil filter
34866340Q03 installed
on a VP 5.0 GI, the filter is screwed with the bottom up, the manual says to turn it counterclockwise, I am assuming counterclockwise if I am looking at the filter top and not the bottom. Since the filter bottom is upward I am assuming that if I want to loosen it I should turn it clockwise since I am gripping it from its bottom or am I wrong.

second question, what do u guys do if it is stuck and not moving , can I do any damage to the filter bracket or housing if I put brute force ?

Regards

alldodge

Staff member
Yes lefty loosey, righty tighty facing

I use a strap wrench to remove if there stuck. Had one real bad and drove a screw driver thru the filter just to get it off.

When installing new one, coat seal with a bit of oil before install

billkal

Cadet
Hello alldodge,

forgive the newbie, if the bottom is up and I grip the filter from the bottom up and turn clockwise it means I am loosening it ?

Regards

alldodge

Staff member
Yes, as you are looking down at the filter which is screwed into the block (you cannot see the bottom of the filter), then when loosing you will turn it clockwise

Now if your looking at the filters bottom which is facing up and is screwed down into the remote housing, then is CCW

billkal

Cadet
alldodge,
thanks a bunch for the visual, at least I know I am turning the right way, now on to loosening the filter cause it is not budging.
I am guessing the seal over time and heat melted into the housing, is it safe to just go around the seal with a knife cutter and chip the rubber all around, will I be damaging the filter bracket ?

Regards

alldodge

Staff member
I doubt if a knife will get in there, but your not going to hurt anything doing so. Don't stick anything like a screw driver or other under there because you can apply enough force to damage the sealing surface

If unable to get a strap wrench, drive a screw driver thru the filter to get some leverage to loosen, and do wear good gloves the edges will be sharp

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
nice visual all dodge, I have the same thing painted on my fuel filter mount!
I wouldn't dig at the seal because then the filter mount might not seal. What I would try is getting a cap wrench that fits the filter exactly, or any number of other specialty oil filters. And keep in mind that the mount that bolts to the exhaust elbow is only cast aluminum so they can crack if you get too tough with it. What I might also do (CAREFULLY) is this: get a heat gun and an IR temp gun, heat the area where the rubber seal is up to about 150-200* and see if that makes it give up its grip. Use the IR temp gun to monitor temps so you don't get it too hot. Motor oil commonly gets to 200* while running so that should not hurt anything. Try the least amount of heat needed to get it to give up its grip. Then when you install the filter, clean the filter mount and oil both the rubber gasket and filter mount. Tighten till the rubber gasket contacts the base then 3/4 turn more that's all you need. You're lucky you have a remote mount this job can be a real nightmare although in all the years I've been maintaining this boat I have never had a stuck oil filter. Probably because I lube the gasket well and do not over tighten.
this is an old pic like from 2007. only difference is that it has the 2 piece Volvo style exhaust now....
photo289460.jpg

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Anti clockwise for your situation. Get a real good filter wrench and and it will go. I now always only put these and the fuel filters back on hand tight. Still a bugger to get off at that.