Replace mount

Blacklion

Recruit
Hi...I'm nit a boat person but bought an old boat. I bought a Evinrude 85 and the stern mount lip is not long enough for my likings. Hate to lose my motor. Can I change that mount for a mount with longer lip and how or how do I fix existing one.
Please forgive me for not knowing correct words.
Help needed. RW

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
The "lip" on the top of the mount does nothing to hold the motor.

The 4 bolts going through the transom bracket and the transom are what holds the motor.

The "lip" is often inches above the transom, as the motor is mounted at the correct height to provide proper handling and performance.

Reactions: KJM

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard.

I hope this old boat is aluminum and not fiberglass.

Blacklion

Recruit
This old boat is fiberglass. Is that an issue. It does have a plate on it already where the other motor was mounted. I'm going to use it for trout and bass fishing.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
This old boat is fiberglass. Is that an issue. It does have a plate on it already where the other motor was mounted. I'm going to use it for trout and bass fishing.
If there is no rot, then it's good. However most old fiberglass boats need a hull restoration

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Newer motors of your HP (late 80s or newer) use four 1/2" transom bolts. Those are more than strong enough to keep the motor bolted to the transom, even under crash conditions.

The "lip" on the transom bracket may (may) be used to help hold the motor to the transom, until the transom mounting bolts are installed. After that it is superfluous. Make sure to seal the transom bolts with some silicone to keep the water out of the transom core.