replace control cables 1985 johnson 70hp

cchinchak

Cadet
Is it hard to replace the control cables on a 1985 johnson 70hp? I took my boat in for a link & synch ($95) and now they say my control cables are corroded and need to be replaced ($113 cables + $195 labor). Can someone point me in the right direction on how to do this myself?

THanks,
Chris

Reggie08

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: replace control cables 1985 johnson 70hp

$113 seems kind of high for new cables considering iboats.com sells the cables you need for less than half that price

Johnson 479 Control Cables

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Shoot, even my local dealer sells the cables for a lot less than that. Replacing them shouldn't take more than an hour, even on a bad day - what kind of rates are you local guys getting an hour???
- Scott

cchinchak

Cadet

How do you adjust the cables once they are installed? I just had the link & synch done so I don't want to screw that up. I appreciate all your help.
Thanks,
Chris

Reggie08

Petty Officer 1st Class

The easiest way to learn is to pick-up a manual. It'll cost money up front but the savings will far surpass the cost when you're able to do accomplish work such as the link-n-sync, lower unit oil change, etc.

But to adjust the cable you hold the linkages on the motor "centered" (there will be free play in the linkages) then turn the adjustment knob on the cable to match the linkages. Don't adjust the linkages to meet the cables. That'll defeat the purpose of the link-n-sync.

EDIT: Forgot to add. That procedure is for your shift cable. I'll let someone else post how to adjust the throttle lever cable. But if it's anything like my 90hp, ensure the throttle lever is as far back as it will go (without making any adjustments to the idle screws, etc) then adjust the cable accordingly to fit.

cchinchak

Cadet

Thanks for all your help. I am going to order the cables and install this weekend.

Thanks,
Chris