repairing bunk rails

maxh

Cadet
Hello all, I am trying to repair my bunk rails. One of them needs new mounts and they both need new carpet. I have a cherry picker and was going to run a strap around the entire hull under the engine and lift up the boat, but the boat is resting on the bunks and i cannot get the strap under it.

Can I hook it to the transom tie down rings? or should I wrap it around the outdrive close to the transom?

Or is there a much safer better way?

I cant really put the boat in the water and then work on the trailer...

Thanks!

Rick.

Captain
Re: repairing bunk rails

Please be careful. You never stated what size boat or how heavy it is. Saw a worst wreck video of them lifting a yacht once and the whole ship fell through the two straps. There was nothing left of it bigger that two square feet. Rick.

maxh

Cadet

its only a 17 footer with a 4cyl on a one axle trailer...

SeanT

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The whole thing makes me nervous. Last year I had my boat in the water and we replaced all the bunks on my trailer in just a few hours. If time is an issue, having everything ready ahead of time helps reduce the time off the trailer.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

i did kinda the same thing, but cheated a lil bit with the crane at work. you can lift from the transom tie-down rings, the ones that you strap to the trailer with. heres a pic, just imagine the cherry picker instead of the forklift, and the bow resting on the trailer still:

tempboatfolder002.jpg

just be careful and leave the trailer hitched to the vehicle securely.

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer

Lower the tung of the boat to the ground. Then place blocks under the back of the boat. raise the tung back up. Back of the boat will now be off the trailer. Keep raising the front of boat as far as you can then place blocks under the front and lower the trailer again. Your boat will now be resting totally on the blocks and off the trailer. Now you can put your straps under the boat and raise it more and remove blocks and pull your trailer out for repair. When your done repairing the trailer just back it back under the boat. At this point i would just lower the boat back down on the trailer and tie up your straps till you launch the boat then remove your straps. Or you could use the blocks and lower your boat that way.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

You don't have to remove the boat from the trailer to replace the bunks. Just remove the transom straps, tighten the bow winch. Then lower the trailer tongue and block the transom. Raise the trailer tongue and the boat will lift off of the bunks and you can do whatever you need.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

The easiest way I have ever found is to measure the bunks, get all supplies and tools together (cordless drill, wrenches, new bolts, glue, and carpet). Pu the boat in the water and then put the bunks on. If everting is cut and ready it only takes 1/2 hr tops. Then go fishing

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just did this, this past weekend. My neighbor has a car lift in his garage. I backed the boat in raised the lift and hooked one strap to each rear tiedown and I ran one strap under the belly of the boat near the bow. Slowly raised the boat with the lift. Pulled out the trailer and replaced bunks and center rollers. Positioned trailer under boat and lowered back down. However..... at NO TIME was anyone allowed underneath the boat while it was raised. This was on a 17foot alum boat with 85 hp motor. We used the wide straps like truckers use to tiedown loads.

bustermin

Banned

I usually plan my trailer repairs around a time when we are using the boat. I launch the boat and then let my wife take it out and I make the needed repairs and then join her when the repairs are complete. A few times I have even just launched the boat and tied it off to the dock while I make the needed repairs. Although I have 4 different launch placed within 5 miles or less of my home and not everybody is as fortunate.

Also, Redone4x4, Saw your photo, thats no way to treat your Dell!:D