repair schematics

summer daze

Recruit
I need the schematics for a lower unit. L-drive 120 force. I cant afford to buy the book is there any where one can go to find these? No luck at the libary.<br /> My husband is gone and my children ages 23 and 25 love skiing. My son says the broken part is in the lower unit and wants to take it apart, something about a dog. LOL anyhow I fear for it and he seems confident that he can replace it. Kids have been saving for parts all summer long the summer is almost over here and the lower unit is in the living room! Video camera is plugged in, and my daughter is cheering him on. I am scared. Kids are right its broke anyhow so what do you think?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: repair schematics

Hi, Daze,<br /><br />Welcome to iboats. :) <br /><br />Couple of problems.<br /><br />1. It is illegal to distribute copies of copyrighted material. If you can't afford a manual you may not be able to afford to fix your L-drive.<br /><br />2. This is the wrong forum to ask for help on the L-drive, which is technically a cross between an outboard (powerhead) and an I/O. <br /><br />I will move it to Force Outboard Troubles. Maybe someone there can find a legal way to help you.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

summer daze

Recruit

Thanks JB I sure dont want to do anything illegal or get in any trouble. So then I wont find this infromation posted seems like one can find about anything on line. Didnt even occur to me the copyright factor. Sorry I posted on the wrong forum.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Summer daze please post the model number of the outboard motor. Mercruiser has a parts blow up I can give you a link to but I need a model number on the motor. Just a heads up though the dog he is refering to is a clutch. If the clutch is shot usually the forward gear is usually just as bad. He may be able to bandaid it by reversing the clutch however this is just a temporary fix. A new clutch and forward gear will run about 200 dollars each. I recommend having a machine shop re face the clutch and forward gear. Probably only cost about 50 bucks and it would be as good as a new part

summer daze

Recruit

Oh Thank you!<br /> The only # I see is RW707054<br /> 1990 120hp force L Drive<br /> I hope that is right I got that from inside the lower unit plate. I called the shop and they can order a new clutch for 140.00 and the forward gear is 280.00. But that was great to hear a machine shop could re face my father is a retired machinest with lots of conections. Hopes are high here.If that is not the right # can you give me a clue as to where to look. We dont see any plate with #'s on the top part of the engine.<br />Thanks again

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

The model number should look like 120LD90C or something similar. There were two models for that year. Here is a link to the 120LD90C model. when the link opens click on gear housing and it will show you the parts to that unit. Sorry that is the best I can do. Force l crive

summer daze

Recruit

The best you can do is awesome! That is exactally what we needed! Thank you so much for taking the time to help us. Those prices were way cheaper then around here too! To the tune of at least 80 bucks if we need new. We still hope to go the machine shop route. Again thank you for your kindness. Hope floats :)

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

I am glad it helped. Please make sure of the model number. I believe mercury only has one other L drive for that year, however the lower unit is probably similar. I own a chrysler so I dont know where the model number is on your motor. Good luck.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Still gonna need to get the $27 repair manual to get everything back together and adjusted properly. Don't know if there is any shimming involved with that drive unit, but I wouldn't attempt it without a manual.