Repair Question for Mercruiser alphaone 3.0 Ltr

victorc1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello, I just bought a 1996 Monterey 180 scr. It has a Mercruiser Alphaone with a 3.0 ltr Chevrolet motor. Its the first time owning an inboard outboard. I bought it really cheap because it when the motor turns on it makes a really bad noise. I removed the transmission part and inside the big rubber hose where the drive shaft looking thing is, was full of brown water, I cleaned it out and there is a bearing the connects to the motor that is in bad shape. The question is, how do I take that bearing off, do I have to change anything on the driveshaft and on the housing that pivots, on the left and right sides there is something that holds the housing in place, it looks like to remove it you use something like an allen wrench with 12 teeth, do you know what type of tool do I use to remove it and what size is it?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Repair Question for Mercruiser alphaone 3.0 Ltr

Ayuh,... Do a search for "Changing the Gimbel Bearing"....
You Don't need to remove that housing,.. The Gimbel Bearing is pressed into it...

victorc1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Repair Question for Mercruiser alphaone 3.0 Ltr

Ok thanks, I also read a post from June 15th, its exactly the same problem I have. This forum is great. Thanks again.