Rented a slip for the season - need some advice

robsp2000

Cadet
I have had my bayliner 185 in a slip since May 1st on Candlewood lake in CT. This is the 1st year I have rented a slip. In the last few weeks I have noticed some build up of algae and crap under the water line on the hull.

Should I clean this regularly or just wait until the end of the season? Also noticing some build up on the stern drive but it seems to clean itself after driving.

Is the easiest way to clean it to pull it out of the water or is there anyway to do this while at the slip?

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Rented a slip for the season - need some advice

Sure, just take a brush and scrub. If it's just grass buildup it will come right off. Lot of it will come off while you run it as well - hence your outdrive. Essentially the grass will build up quicker on the bottom as it is a little more
"porous" than you aluminum outdrive unit. Once it gets a grip, the surface grundge will go away but the "roots" will remain to gather more algae and crud. Not life threatning but enough will slow you down. Burn more fuel.

robsp2000

Cadet

I have been driving it alot probably averaging 15 hours on the lake each week. It's more of a discoloration then a thick build up, just worried if this will wash clean if I waited too long.

Also even though I'm in fresh water should I worry about any corrosion to the stern drive?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

CLEAN IT! It will hurt your performance and will only get worse. Get a few green scouring pads and scrub it a bit in the water. If it does not come right off..... you should pull the boat on a bad weather day and take it out and clean it.

I have seen fresh water boats get nasty and if left alone the film will blacken and almost look like paint and just about as hard to get off.

wvit1001

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a brush that I use while floating around in the water. While in the water swimming I'll get out a float and go around the boat and scrubb off the stuff that builds up. If you do it while it's in the water it comes off easily. If you pull the boat out of the water and give that stuff a chance it dry it gets really difficult to get it off.

Last year I picked up one of those suction cups that they use to pick-up sheets of glass. It has a handle that you squeeze together that pulls a vacuum on the suction cup. It's been great to use to help hold onto the boat as you float around scrubbing.

http://www.algrovetoolsupply.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=AST9038

rndn

Commander

Pretty much everyone in my area that has a cottage and boat, stores the boat with a boat hoist. It's expensive, but no where near the price of a boat and it totally eliminates the maintenance on the boat and outdrive as far as growth is concerned.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

. It has a handle that you squeeze together that pulls a vacuum on the suction cup. It's been great to use to help hold onto the boat as you float around scrubbing.
quote]

Now thats a good idea!
But ya still need to yank it and give it a powerwash about (at the LEAST) once a month. The build up will get ya..

robsp2000

Cadet

I have a brush that I use while floating around in the water. While in the water swimming I'll get out a float and go around the boat and scrubb off the stuff that builds up. If you do it while it's in the water it comes off easily. If you pull the boat out of the water and give that stuff a chance it dry it gets really difficult to get it off.

Last year I picked up one of those suction cups that they use to pick-up sheets of glass. It has a handle that you squeeze together that pulls a vacuum on the suction cup. It's been great to use to help hold onto the boat as you float around scrubbing.

http://www.algrovetoolsupply.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=AST9038

Excellent, thanks. I had a bad feeling that I shouldn't wait too long.

Skiuseme

Chief Petty Officer

For those of us the have a slip on the Mississippi River our boats get nasty within a weeks time. You find out quickly that is you want a clean boat you must trailer it, store it inside, and wash and wax every week. Lets be honest this is not going to happen unles your OCD about it. I have a great little product called ZING that will take almost any scum off your boat. You must use HAND,EYE, AND BREATHING PROTECTION. Those are no questions asked. You also must cut it with water to make it not eat your boat. I power wash my boat once a month and take a brissel bruch to it every time I go out but, It just doesnt help. So at the end of the year I ACID WASH the bottom of my boat and it is good as new.

Its a small price to pay for being able to use my boat alot more than if i was trailering.

ADAM