rental car insurance

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class
When is it good to get the add'l coverage from the rental car agency.<br /><br />I don't get it when I rent inside the US, but have always purchased it outside the 50 states, especially Mexico.<br /><br />Is this the correct way to rent cars? Or should I change my ways?<br /><br />I know I'll get the response "depends on my own coverage", yes I will check with my agent, on most of my cars I have full coverage currently with Allstate.<br /><br />I am going off shore soon, and I have never felt quite confident about what to do.<br /><br />Spud

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: rental car insurance

I think you are right on top of it. Depending on your coverage on your policy for inside the US and yes get the additional outside the US.

TilliamWe

Banned

Spud, after you check with your agent, and he/she tells you that the rental car is like driving your own car, (all your coverage applies), you may consider purchasing the "Deductible Waiver" coverage. See how much it costs. If you have a $1000 ded on your own car, and you put a little ding in the rental, you'll be on the hook for all of it. If you pay a couple of bucks for the ded waiver, then you don't pay out of your pocket.<br />But for the most part in the US, don't buy the additional coverage. You don't need it.

txswinner

Banned

Your States policy makes all the difference. Texas pays auto rental under liab. so if limit is high enough you do not need the Rental Ins.<br /><br />Other states may cover under comp. and coll. if you have the coverage but you must be mindful that these coverages do NOT pay for loss of use. If the down time on the Cadillac ($60 per day rental) is long you might have an economic wreck.<br /><br />Example: You have collision coverage and hit tree. Your insurance pays the $10,000 repair bill but it takes 60 days to get parts and fix. You are out your deductible $500-1,000. Plus 60 days times $60/day or $3,600.00. Exposure here is a total up to $4,600. <br /><br />Make a good decision. Good luck, and I do not sell insurance just handle claims and instruct.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've always run liability on all my cars because unless its totaled I can do most of my own work... I am coming up on a vacation that will require a rental for 8 days and just about puked when I saw their insurance rate. 23.99 a day extra for the insurance. <br /><br />I called my insurance company and put full coverage on my cheapest vehicle... cost me 100 bucks to add it and pay full coverage through the end of my contract instead of 200 to the rental car company and my company will cover my rental car as long as I have full coverage on one vehicle. :)

heyttown

Chief Petty Officer

we rented a 15 passenger van for an overnight trip last year....They sold us on the insurance policy they were selling....for $12 the van was 100% protected,I specifically asked the salesman and said "so we could total this van out and not have to pay a dime?"....It recieved a weird look from his face but he said not 1 dime.......wouldnt ya know it we didnt even put a dent in the thing in about 1000 miles we drove that trip.....But we were covered.

carrotsnapper

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I've been overseas, I always buy the extra insurance. My agent told me that my coverage is only good in the US. Have a fun trip. M.

eeboater

Commander

Here's a good story for you.<br /><br />My roomate from college decided to take a trip out to California with his girlfriend last year. They rented a Chevy Cavalier from what Alamo and decided to 'opt out' of the Alamo provided insurance coverage. They ended up taking a trip out to Yosemite and checking out the National Park. After a nice, long and fun day of wandering around the park, they started back to San Francisco. About half way back to San Francisco, they stopped at a Motel 6 for the night. At about 3 AM, they hear this loud crashing sound. My buddy goes outside to see his rented car sitting upsidedown in the parking space next to where it was originally parked.<br /><br />A drunk 18 yr old careened out of control into the parking lot and collided with his car.<br /><br />One year and several thousand dollars later, he is finally rid of the problem - not even caused by himself. I guess Alamo turned on him in the situation and he just ended up getting a raw deal. All because he didn't opt for the $70 insurance waiver. He could have walked away, he said he will never rent a car without it - ever again.<br /><br />Sean

Trent

Captain

Some credit cards companies cover the insurance if you use their card to rent the car.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Trent:<br /> Some credit cards companies cover the insurance if you use their card to rent the car.
Yep! Insurance on car rentals are covered automatically with the use of all of the credit cards that i possess.

ZodFutMk2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've always gotten rental insurance. It's far easier to let them deal with it than have to be the out of pocket intermediary while they have a face off with your insurance company.<br /><br />I've had to rent cars for business purposes for over thirty years and only once did I have an accident. Police car pulled in front of me in a large rental truck. Me left turn lane, him shooting into intersection on emergency call with no lights or siren. Before I could stop the very large truck, I'd nailed him in at the left rear wheel and shoved him and the car half way through the intersection. He was stunned, I was in shock. After I changed pants I remembered just how glad I was to have gotten the insurance.<br /><br />My 2 cents worth.

all thumbs

Chief Petty Officer

I got full rental coverage when I was in Ireland. I brought the car back minus the side mirrors plus numerous dents and scratches from trying to widen the roads. No questions asked on return. Alot of people returning cars that day wern't as lucky.