Renaming a boat

Lcp-angler

Cadet
I want to rename my boat but was curious has anyone actually had bad luck from doing so?
I keep seeing articles about how it's bad luck and the sea God's will punish you if you believe in that. I was just wondering if anyone has done this and what they did to counter the bad luck that can accompany it.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Do the ceremony. Some make it an elaborate, fun event. I did a "watered-down" version of it, still made it fun. I don't think I've had any "bad luck" as a result of not following all the "rules" - but there was that one time we had one on the line, then didn't...

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer
"Voodoo", bad luck omens, etc. are only a concern if you believe in them. You can either ignore them and not worry or make up some ceremony. Statistically your odds of bad luck or good luck will remain the same.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I didn't do the ceremony. That was 2007. The market crashed, my wife left me for her personal trainer 20 years younger, my dog ran way with my girlfriend, the Bill's didn't make the playoffs again, someone stole my pickup, my boat sunk, other than that all went well. Oh I got Cancer but beat it, I think. Don't bother doing the Neptune thing, worked just great for me.