Removing Vertical Drive on OMC Cobra

I would like to remove my vertical drive on my 95 Four Winns so I can lube the gimble bearing and universal joints. It is a OMC Cobra unit on a 4.3L Chevy engine. I have never done this before so I'd like to know if it is hard to do and how to do it step by step. Also is there a gasket I need to buy and what do I need to torque the bolts down to when I put the drive back on?

B_Eager

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Removing Vertical Drive on OMC Cobra

The gimble is lubed from the outside of the outdrive assembly. Do you have to lube the u-joints, or are the like the newer cars u-joints. Do not know what year they started using them. If you pull the outdrive you need a seal kit to put it back on. Check it out before you pull it all apart. If you are going to pull the drive, remove the prop, get the unit 90 degrees to the transom for a clean pull and more for assembly later. Get one more body to put it back on. Use the prop to aling the spines going back on. I think the torqe is 50 ft-pounds for the nuts, but don't quote me on it.<br /><br />Put the boat in forward gear before you pull the drive and leave it there till after it is mounted or you will break the little shift lever on the out drive!!

The owners manual said to lube the gimble bearing and the universal joints each year. Yes there is a grease fitting for the gimble bearing on the outside housing but the manual says to remove the outdrive to lube the universals. The manual also said to have this done by a OMC dealer so it does not give you toqure specs or say if you needed a gasket kit, but it does not look hard to do. Thanks so far for the info keep it comming.

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I just did this with my 1987 Cobra. <br /><br />It's easy if you have an engine lift, which I did have for car work. The sterndrive is both heavy and awkward, making the lift necessary.<br /><br />The seal kit is inexpensive and widely available.<br /><br />I've read alot of posts about lubing these u-joints, and no DIY's do it more frequently than every two years.

t_bird

Cadet

Sloop,I also have a cobra on both my boats and have removed the out drive several times for service, they are a breeze, remove 6 locking nuts and washers and pull it off. Reassembly is a little more diffacult as the upper boot and the u-joint yoke fit very snug with each other. If u don't have a lift u will need another pair of hands,one to hold the outdrive in position and the other to help alien and rotate back and forth the u- joint yoke through the boot, make sure this yoke is strait with the boot, if not, u will damage the boot thus causing it to leak threw the gimble.BOOT 58 BUCKS, and u will need a new gasket set for reassembly,6 bucks. As far as the drive being in gear, I have always had mine in neutral. I know they reccomend the mercs to be in gear upon reassembly but I think it is easier to rotate the yoke with a screw driver when I am in neutral and I have never had a problem ..good luck

B_Eager

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Guys am I thinking of the right outdrive?? The merc outdrive must be in gear to remove on a alpha one outdrive. There is a shifter lever that turns parrell to the direction of motion, if it is not in gear it will snap this piece off. Put the unit in the trailer position, look from the boat side in the boxed area just below the boot-belows. Should see a shaft, 90 degree bar mounted to it, and it should be fitted into a sleeve. Have someone shift the boat with it off and watch for motion, you will see it if you have it.

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The subject line of this thread mentions an OMC Cobra, not a Mercruiser.

Thank again for the info guys. I have a dumb question to ask, what and were is the yoke and the boot? This is my first boat and I've never worked on one before.

louc

Seaman Apprentice

The yoke is the part of the driveshaft that holds the u-joints (like a driveshaft on a car). The boot is the rubber boot that covers the u-joints and keeps water out of the boat.If the boot leaks it can sink the boat, one of the weaknesses of the I/O system.<br />Sounds like you need someone who has done this before, it is not that hard to get it off but getting it back on is harder.<br />First I suggest you get an OMC service manual, best 35 bucks you will spend on the boat. Read up on the procedure, and try to find someone to help you who has done it before. If you have had back problems, forget doing this unless you buy an outdrive suport stand, you can mess up your lower back big time doing this, it is heavy and you are bending over with it the whole time.