Removing stern drive from 140 OMC

Hello,<br /><br />I have a 1985 3.0L 140 OMC I/O (non-Cobra) in a 1985 Bayliner Cuddy with a fixed trim. I am thinking of removing the stern drive in order to remove and repair the tilt mechanism. Apparently, the tilt end cap has a split in the o-ring seat rail which cause the o-ring to not seal properly. It leaks water into the tilt housing to the point that there's only water and a lot of gooey tan sludge. The drive is now stuck in the down position. I took the tilt motor out and tested it, and it spins with good torque in both directions. So unfortunately, I'll have to remove the stern drive in order to get to the rest of the tilt mechanism.<br /><br />My questions are:<br /><br />1. Is the stern drive a very heavy unit - will I need a hoist to manage it?<br /><br />2. According to the repair manual, in order to remove the stern drive, I will have to tilt the stern drive up slightly to gain access to some bolts and things. However, since the tilt drive is not working, how would I tilt the stern drive up? I've tried lifting it manually, but it won't budge. The manual doesn't say anything about this. Any suggestions?<br /><br />3. Finally, does anyone know where I can find some replacement parts for the tilt unit; i.e. end cap, gaskets, etc.? It appears that this stern drive is considered obsolete.<br /><br />Any advice will be appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks.

The Marine Doctor

Commander
Re: Removing stern drive from 140 OMC

You do not need to remove the sterndrive unit to work on the tilt. IF you have access to something that you can TIE the outdrive in the UP position.<br /><br />Once you have it in a fixed up position...remove the 3 9/16 bolts that hold the tilt bracket on.<br /><br />When this is removed...you can now work on the tilt.<br /><br />TMD

KiLer

Cadet

you can disconnect the pistons and lift that lower unit to reach any bolts you need to get to.

My thanks to the two of you for your suggestions. I did remove the 3 bolts to the I/O's half-moon tilt gear and was able to lift the stern drive unit to gain access to the tilt housing mechanism. Now the work/fun begins.<br /><br />BTW...does anyone have any ideas on the water leak situation I'd mentioned in another post? I will post it again. I can't imagine why there would be a water leak coming from inside the bell housing, especially when there's no sign of oil in my crankcase, intermediate housing, or upper gear case. However, I'm trying to avoid removing either the engine or the intermediate housing/transom seal unnecessarily, if it is only a matter of a simple fix. But then I should know better...nothing is simple (or cheap) when it comes to a boat! :)<br /><br />Thanks again for your help and suggestions.