removing sp-a drive problem

jeffkrieger

Seaman
i'm trying to remove a SP-A drive from a AQ171c engine in a 1990 Wellcraft 192 sport.the problem is the 2 lock bolts for the hook up fork pins are frozen.i have been spraying them for a week,but they will not budge.can i put some heat on them or will that be melting stuff?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: removing sp-a drive problem

You do have to remove the retaining bolt in order to remove the pivot pin. BUT, before you go to all the problems to remove the drive, why do you want to remove it. If all you want is a bellows change or pull the engine, then you DO NOT have to pull the whole drive, only the upper gear box. MUCH easier.

jeffkrieger

Seaman

i am taking drive and engine out of a parts boat.that way when i repair the transom on my good boat i have an idea of what to do.can i heat the lock bolts?thanks.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

After removing the retaining bolts for the pivot pin, turn the steering to one side and use a BRASS drift and drive the pin toward the bellows. DO NOT use a steel punch, or it will expand the pivot pin and you will be in big trouble.

captmello

Captain

i am taking drive and engine out of a parts boat.that way when i repair the transom on my good boat i have an idea of what to do.can i heat the lock bolts?thanks.

yes, carefully, not too hot.

jeffkrieger

Seaman

well i threw a little heat on the lock bolts.first one came out easily.second one was a pain in the #$^%^&*finally it broke off,so i had to drill it out.started on the pins.what a pain in the $%#%^&*!!!!!had to heat until 1 started to move.finally came out.2nd one moved a tiny bit but it got dark so i will attack it tomorrow.thanks for all the help.