Removing propane tanks from truck

sbump26

Seaman Apprentice
I am interested in bidding on a truck in an auction that is bi-fuel. It can run on propane or gasoline. If I purchase the truck I will remove the propane tanks. Has anyone done this or converted a vehicle to run on propane? What is done to the electronic fuel injection which this truck has? Anyone dealt with propane conversions?

ZmOz

Captain
Re: Removing propane tanks from truck

Why would you want to get rid of it? I would LOVE to be able to fuel my Cherokee up with propane...

sbump26

Seaman Apprentice

In Texas, propane is not taxed at the pump. You have to estimate how many miles you will drive using propane and pay the taxes up front. There are not that many places to get your vehicle filled up. The tanks take up space in the vehicle. The mileage on propane is not that good.

ZmOz

Captain

So tell them one tank will take you 600 miles. :D It does give you less mileage...but it's still usually cheaper. If you really don't want to use the propane it's probably extremely easy to unbolt the tank and get rid of it.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Another benefit of propane is its clean burning. The oil is not contaminated by fuel seeping past the rings.

D

DJ

I have a lot of experience with alternative fuel vehicles, including the type you desribe.<br /><br />Bi Fuel is the best of both worlds, especially when the secondary fuel is propane.<br /><br />Running any engine on a "dry" fuel such as propane presents its own problems. The major one being the coking on the back sides of intake valves. Being able to run on gasoline also, helps eleviate that problem by washing the valves with additives in the "wet" gasoline.

petryshyn

Commander

Can't help you much without more info...<br /><br />Conversions can consist of removing some of the preheat systems on the engine, adding in timing modules and ecu interfaces. If an engine with dual fuel has been run for long periods with propane, the injectors can be damaged from sitting dormant.<br /><br />We need to know the year, make,model and engine to further this topic. . .

sbump26

Seaman Apprentice

The vehicle in question is a 92 F150, auto., 300 inline 6 with 162,000 miles. Don't know how long is/was run on propane and how long on gas. I have heard from co-workers the 300 6 runs "dirty" and is hard to pass emissions testing. One guy suggested keeping the propane system intact and using it before yearly inspection time so it will pass. He also said the 300 would barely pass inspection when fairly new. I am not keen on having the headache of finding a place to fill up, buying a propane sticker each year from the state, etc. but if I can use it on gas most of the time and propane occasionally that may be ok. The truck is in a city surplus vehicle online auction. I currently has a bid price of 526.00. The body is fairly decent, interior has one small tear in the drivers seat, and starts and runs decent. The tranny seems ok also. I'm not the current high bidder, but considering bidding a little more. It has three tool boxes in it that are worth at least 200.00.

mattttt25

Commander

may be worth keeping the empty tanks in place for tax purposes alone. i believe you can write off a certain amount on your federal return for owning an alternate fuel vehicle.<br /><br />it's also nice knowing you are helping save the environment in a small way.