Removing power head

mjestey2000

Cadet
I have a 150 '88 Evinrude that needs to be bored and sleaved in one cylinder. I am in the process of pulling the head and I can't seem to get it to budge. I have taken off the two bolts in the back and the four in the front and the lower cowling to see if there are any others that need to be removed, but I don't see any. However, it does look like the lower unit has long bolts that lead up to the powerhead. Would I need to remove these also? I think there are six in all. Thanks! <br />Mike<br /><br />Also any suggestions on where to get used parts?

S.T. Marine

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Removing power head

If there were bolts from the lower unit to powerhead you would have problems. There should be six when you remove the lower cover that covers the top of the midsection. I would recommend a manual

mjestey2000

Cadet

Thanks for the info. I do have a manual, but it doesn't state how the head is removed. It starts at "once you remove the head...". The rest is detailed enough. I'm taking a LOT of pictures so I can get it back together again.<br /><br />m

AndyL

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't want to worry you but neither I or the motor agent could get the powerhead off my Merc 135. With all the bolts out and the boat + Motor hanging off the flywheel it adamantly refused to budge a mm. I gave up as I was only trying to do preventative maintenance on lower crankcase seals. I was told the only hope would be apply extreme heat to exhaust plate in the hope that the studs let go. The problem is corrosion between the studs and the aluminium which builds up over time and freezes everything together.<br />If you do find a solution I would dearly like to hear about it. The very best of luck.

S.T. Marine

Petty Officer 1st Class

Andy,<br /><br /> If the studs are all loose then your driveshaft is stuck in the crank... Only fix cut the driveshaft get a new one and maybe a crank

ob1jeeper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On the long bolts you mentioned... That would be an affirmative... the long bolts gotta come out also, then the PH will lift right off.<br /><br />Good luck, Obiwan jeeper

HowieDean

Seaman

8 bolts and 4 nuts.... + Shift rod bolt<br /><br />On the sides Six long bolts "3 on each side"<br />At the front near stearing arm.. 2 bolts and 2 nuts<br />At the back.. 2 nuts<br /><br />Don't forget the bolt that goes through the shift rod... under intake manafold at front of motor.