removing paint from gel coat

qwest

Seaman Apprentice
Hi I recently boat a boat that has the name painted on both sides of the hull & id like to remove it.

Are there any recommended products/ methods to use that will remove the paint without compromising the gelcoat underneath?

thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Lacquer thinner to remove, then 600 grit, then 800 grit, then buff

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I bet you could buff it out..
I agree. I have polished off a few painted boat names in the past.Start out with polishing compound and a rotary polisher or drill attachment and see how much is removed. You will need to follow it up with polish and then wax.Now you are going to have a beautifully polished finish where the name once was so you should consider doing a much larger area than the name. ultimately the entire side of the hull. Charlie

qwest

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the help. Ive ran into similar things before & it sounds like it may be a good idea to get a buffer. Are there any recommended polishing products that will work well with the paint removal?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Thanks for the help. Ive ran into similar things before & it sounds like it may be a good idea to get a buffer. Are there any recommended polishing products that will work well with the paint removal?
As I already mentioned, polishing compound.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Easy peasy.....acetone on a rag. It will be gone in seconds. Depending on how long it has been on there, and where the PO stored the boat (in the sun, eg.) you may have to polish the spot because it will be much shinier than the surrounding area.

Typical problem.....the old girlfriend dumps him and the new one won't have her name on the boat.

qwest

Seaman Apprentice
acetone not doing it, going to try buffing. I would imagine its been there for 20+ yrs

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
You can try to get things softened up by saturating a rag with carb cleaner and wiping over the paint a few times.Charlie

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
acetone not doing it, going to try buffing. I would imagine its been there for 20+ yrs
If acetone doesn't take it off it's not regular paint. Buffing will take gel coat off as well. Be careful. Maybe try soaking for awhile.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
If acetone doesn't take it off it's not regular paint. Buffing will take gel coat off as well. Be careful. Maybe try soaking for awhile.
BAD ADVICE!!!! DO NOT EVER SOAK WHEN IT COMES TO ACETONE!!! Acetone will ruin whatever it soaks!!! Only wipe acetone and if it does not work then try something else but DONT SOAK anything plastic/fiberglass in nature with acetone ....Unless you want a hole....Been there....done that unfortunately, So dont waste anyones time disputing this!! Charlie

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
BAD ADVICE!!!! DO NOT EVER SOAK WHEN IT COMES TO ACETONE!!! Acetone will ruin whatever it soaks!!! Only wipe acetone and if it does not work then try something else but DONT SOAK anything plastic/fiberglass in nature with acetone ....Unless you want a hole....Been there....done that unfortunately, So dont waste anyones time disputing this!! Charlie
I don't dispute your findings. Certainly, "plastics" are not compatible. Nevertheless, most boating references suggest using acetone to clean gelcoat.

Gelcoat is a polyester, which is listed on the Chemical Resistant Chart as compatible with acetone. I have cleaned many a painted name off a boat with no harm. If it didn't work in this case, possibly the "paint" is a polyester as well.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I don't dispute your findings. Certainly, "plastics" are not compatible. Nevertheless, most boating references suggest using acetone to clean gelcoat.

Gelcoat is a polyester, which is listed on the Chemical Resistant Chart as compatible with acetone. I have cleaned many a painted name off a boat with no harm. If it didn't work in this case, possibly the "paint" is a polyester as well.
You will never find anywhere anything stating "SOAKING" in acetone.Charlie