Removing Old Graphics from hull

Lloydramdeen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Can anyone help?<br /><br />I have tried acetone, a sharpe putty knife. I am afraid of damaging the gel coat. This old tape is literally baked on . Is there an easier way ?<br /><br />Thanks

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Removing Old Graphics from hull

Most marine supply stores sell paint removers that are safe to use on gel coat. Use acetone for cleanup of the residue. Worked for me.

Ryoken

Petty Officer 2nd Class

heatgun, stiff plastic scraper, laquer thinner....<br /><br />for paint.. easyoff

Lloydramdeen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys.. never thought about a heat gun..Now I know what my project this weekend will be !!

mattttt25

Commander

you can also find a product specifically made to remove vinyl stickers. i think i found it at boat u.s. sorry, can't remember name, but it was a small spray bottle. spray on, wait 5 mintues, and the stickers come right off with a plastic scrapper. be careful with that metal putty knife.

keelhauled

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I took mine off with a narrow nozzle on a pressure washer. Gotta be careful; if the pressurized water finds any dings in the gelcoat it start removing it in a hurry.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I just took some ancient graphics of of my boat with a propane torch and a plastic putty knife. I held the flame far enough away so it didn't scorch too much, and was able to heat and strip the whole graphic off in minutes (it ran about 5 feet). There ended up being a couple scorch marks, but polishing compound took it right out. An electric heat gun will work just as good and it won't scorch, I just don't own one so out came the propane...

Lloydramdeen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Gee Jason J <br /><br />Thanks !<br /><br /> This is a blue band (not even a streak) about 6 inches wide and it goes around the walkaround for a 24' boat so we are looking at a good 18 feet. The torch would be kinda cumbersome for such a large area but I might have to resort to that.This thing is real stubborn and I suspect it came with the boat new in 1991..some one said a hair dryer.Tommorow I'll know. Will give a report!

Lloydramdeen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks guys.<br />I had to resort to my sharpe putty knife and laquer thinner. I did the front side of the cuddy, and it took four long hours.no damage done to the gelcoat. The sides are not bad so I will let them wear some more.Too much of a long haul !

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

Have you tried any of the "Goof-off,Goo-Gone" citrus type products?<br />They work extremely well. If you have safely used laquer thinner with no finish damage then you shouldn't have any problems with the above mentioned products.<br /><br />Dave

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

1. Hair Dryer (not heat gun - my Milwakee gets hot enough to solder)<br />2. Use WD-40 to remove residue (one of the few things it's actually good for)

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

bomar76,<br /><br />Does that work equally well in removing registration numbers from an aluminum hull? <br /><br />tcube