Removing mid secton '88 Johnson 120

droMac

Cadet
I have a Johnson 120 that I need to remove the mid section (exhaust housing I think its called). I removed the six large bolts and the head broke off on two of them. Any suggestions on how to get the section seperated from the power head. I know the bolts that broke have no more downward pressure on them but they seem to be frozen into the metal thus keeping them from separating. Any help would be appreciated.

evin300

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Removing mid secton '88 Johnson 120

I know that heat works exceptionally well when you have dissimilar metals such as steel and aluminum as in your case.

droMac

Cadet

Tried the heat didn't seem to do much. As I mentioned earlier. There are six long bolts, 4 short bolts, and 2 studs with nuts. 2 of the long bolt heads broke off and 1 of the short heads. Even the bolts I was able to back out without breaking won't come out all the way, they seem kinda stuck in the aluminum housing. I need to get the power head separated from the rest. I don't want to try and stick something in between for fear of damaging the aluminum housing. How do repair shops deal with such situations. The engines where used in salt water for 11 years. Please help!!
frown.gif
<br /><br />Dro

droMac

Cadet

Sorry forgot to metion, someone told me that the steel bolts used with an alumnum housing create some kind of eletrolytic reaction, fusing the metal together. Is this what has happend? Thanx!!

Big Rod

Seaman Apprentice

droMac, sorry to say, you have a tough problem to solve (as you already know). I have a few junked outboards in my shop for that same reason.Some others I was able to complete repairs but had to sacrifice the adaptor plate by cutting through it. A fellow mech. friend said he flipped the whole engine upside down and just kept shooting penetrating fluid in the bolt holes for an extended period and that finally worked for him. Here in south Louisiana, glass rust(but the fishing is FANTASTIC) so I know your problem. Good luck...