removing lower unit????

00000dan

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i have a 1976 135hp V4 Evinrude. i need to replace the impellar or the entire kit... the manual showes how to do this... however it does not clearly show how to remove the lower unit. i know it has got to be more than just unbolting it from the bottom. i just want to know what im getting into before i actually attempt it. thank you for your help in advance<br /><br />dan

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
Re: removing lower unit????

Dan, Welcome to iboats....4 visible bolts on lower unit, then one hiding under the trim plate, then you need to also release the shift rod underneath the bottom carb, should be a pin or bolt, then the lower unit should come right down, provided the driveshaft splines are not stuck in the crank.

00000dan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thank you cricket too! im going to try it out this afternoon or thursday and may have a few questions after doing that hahaha. again thank you<br /><br /><br />dan

Walker

Captain

I believe your motor has the shift rod release on the front right side. You loosen a 5/8" bolt that holds a 2 piece lever that clamps a pin through the shift rod. Loosen the bolt pretty mich and spread the 2 parts and your shift rod should come loose.

00000dan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok walker you were correct. someone was telling me i was going to have to take off the bottom carb to get to it and im glad that it was not the case. so i got the lower unit off and am looking at the impellar and it looks to be in good shape. what are some of the ways an impellar can show that it is going bad? i have to replace the rubber seal for the impellar housing. if this does not solve my problem. why else would i not be getting a trickle of water(PEE) out the two back ports of the motor???

angus63

Captain

Aye, there's the rub!!!! Your motor does not have a telltale. Those are bypass exhaust ports which only exhaust at an idle when the motor is submerged due to the backpressure at the "thru the prop" exhaust. You will only see a "mist" of cooling water from them at idle. On the muffs or at higher rpms, the easiest path for exaust and cooling water is thru the prop hub. While apart, change the impellar and seals. Replace every two years or so. Make sure your overheat alarm is functioning and go enjoy!!!!<br />Good luck

00000dan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks ANGUS63, ive been telling people that my motor does not (PEE) like others do, they keep on telling me that im wrong, i guess well see. my waterpump kit is coming in today and im goging to install it this afternoon. what greases and lube am i supposed to use and where does it go? i cant beleave that i would put that thing in there dry. how do you test the alarm?? thanks alot for the advise and i will update after installing impellar.

00000dan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks ANGUS63, ive been telling people that my motor does not (PEE) like others do, they keep on telling me that im wrong, i guess well see. my waterpump kit is coming in today and im goging to install it this afternoon. what greases and lube am i supposed to use and where does it go? i cant beleave that i would put that thing in there dry. how do you test the alarm?? thanks alot for the advise and i will update after installing impellar.

angus63

Captain

Purchase OMC triple gaurd grease, OMC Adhesive M, and OMC gasket sealer for the water pump replacement and follow the factory manual as far as placement. I use a smear of dishsoap when replacing the impellar, housing, and wear plate to ease assembly. Look at your heads and there will be tan wires coming from the temp sensors in the head. They have disconnects and you can ground the wire (not the sensor end but the motor end)and listen for a loud continuous tone.<br />Good luck

00000dan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks ANGUS63 for the advise on the waterpump. as far as the alarm. do i need to take off the heads to get to the sensor or can i just pull it out.(i dont want to mess anything up. or do i just take that brown wire and ground it?

angus63

Captain

Just disconnect the Tan wire (no need to disassemble anything) and ground the end not attached to the sensor to the block and listen with the key on. To be absolutely certain, you can remove the sensors and do a continuity test while dippin the end in 180°F water. If you need any help, let us know.<br />Good luck

00000dan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks angus. im going to try that tonight. i might have a few questions tomarrow.

00000dan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks angus. im going to try that tonight. i might have a few questions tomarrow.

00000dan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok so i installed the water pump kit and everything went really well. hooked up the muffs, ran the water and started the motor. the motor would not run at idle but im pretty sure that i need to rebuild the carbs. and that is going to be my next project. <br /><br />i do have a question though. i let the motor run for about 30 sec. and then shut it off. i just wanted to see if i could see a trickle of water which i did.<br /><br />i noticed that the two cylinders on the left side.(if you are facing the back of the motor), were hot and the two on the right side were cold. they had no heat at all. <br /><br />what could this mean???what do i do to check this out??

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

When were the vernitherm elements (T-stats) last replaced? Also, under the covers on the cylinder heads there are rubber water deflectors which may need replacement.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

dan - Sounds like you are having fun. I would follow Jim's advice on the T-stats. They are a pain to replace but worth the peace of mind. You might should do the deflectors if this is a salt water engine and they have never been replaced.

00000dan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

as far as i know the t-stats have not been replaces for 5 years. and the motor has been in laid down for that long also. <br /><br />if the deflectors are rubber then most likely i need to replace them because everything else rubber i have had to replace.<br /><br />ok so that leave carbs, t-stats, defelctors.<br /><br />sometime i take 1 step forward and then seem to take 3 steps back.<br /><br />oh well <br /><br />thanks guys i really appreciate your help<br /><br /><br />dan

Walker

Captain

The deflectors aren't under the covers, they are under the heads themselves in the block.