Removing large dents in logs

VaGent

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've just discovered on the bottom of my left log I have about a 6 inch deep dent that includes the keel itself. Does anyone have a good idea as to how to go about removing the dent? It's 24inchs from the back of the log. It appears it may have happened while someone was trying to load the boat & possibly hit the bunk on the trailer. It is not leaking at present but it sure looks bad. Can the keel be heated prior to trying to pull it out straight? Can a "dent puller" be used to pull the dent out of the log? Any info would really be appreciated.

DSC00092 [].JPG

Jeep Man

Commander
Re: Removing large dents in logs

It appears we are both in the same deep end of the ocean. I have an identical dent on mine due to a storage accident over the winter. I posted a few months ago and basically was told by a few seasoned forum fraternity to leave it alone of it isn't leaking. Reluctantly, I am heeding that advice. My personal preference is to have it repaired. If there comes a point where I can't take the dent any longer, I will concede and have it repaired. From what I have been told, it can be repaired with a dent puller. Using a tig welder, they will tack on rods to attach the dent puller, pull out the dent in the same manner as they would on an auto, and then grind off the rods. Their preference is to remove the toon from the boat to do this.

VaGent

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the reply Jeepman. I've been told the same advice as you were given. I talked to a gentleman today who is well known in this area for repairing all types of dents in just about anything. He took a look at my damage & told me to leave it alone unless or until it starts leaking. He said he could fix it for sure but he wanted to take his time & do it right.

I've decided to leave it as is for now & keep a close eye on it this summer. This winter I will most likely have him "take his time & do it right". I had no idea the dent was there until I took it off the trailer & set it on 4X4 blocks to install the new deck. Needless to say I was upset but nothing I can do now but contiune on with my rebuild & try to enjoy it this summer. Wish you luck with yours too & hope it doesn't leak either.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I have built pontoons for 22 years and am the repair guy so I have done that exact thing a bunch of times.

The aluminum is too thick to pull, I have tried, you have to actually cut out the end cap and pound it out and even then I can never get all of it out.

I also part time at a body shop and a tube is nothing like a fender, you can bend that metal with your finger, not so with a tube.

I really don't think it will affect performance much if at all so other than it is there it isn't hurting anything and you are more likely to make it worse by messing with it.

So again my expert advice is either send it to the factory to be fixxed or don't fix it.