removing Elec. fuel pump / back to mechanical

Jim Robbins

Petty Officer 3rd Class
1973 Mercruiser 140 hp (Gm - 4 cyl. ( "The Iron Duke" I think that's what they call it)

The previous owner removed & covered up where the fuel pump was and installed an electrical fuel pump. I want to return to the original type fuel pump, I have one ready to go with a new steel line to the carb., so I think I'm all set there.

My question is, I mentioned what was done to this motor last year on this site, and I was advised to have an oil pressure sensor installed, incase the motor was operating with out proper oil pressure, then o.p. sensor would turn off power to the electrical fuel pump and the motor will shut down before damage.

Now that I'm going back to the way the motor was built to run, can I remove this oil pressure sensor? Do I need any-thing else? Can I use teflon tape on the fitting threads?
I was also planning on mounting a fuel filtering system between the tank and the fuel pump, is this the correct plan?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: removing Elec. fuel pump / back to mechanical

That is not why the oil pressure switch was installed. They use the oil pressure switch to tell the fuel pump that the engine is operating, that's all.
You do not want an electric fuel pump hooked up so it will run without the engine running.
It has nothing to do with protecting the engine if the oil pressure goes away. That is what the alarm and gauge are for.

Jim Robbins

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok, thank-you. So I just go ahead as planned and the oil pressure switch can be removed?
How can I check if I have an alarm?

Bondo

Staff member

So I just go ahead as planned and the oil pressure switch can be removed?

Ayuh,... That's Correct...
How can I check if I have an alarm?
1973,.. It's Doubtful...
( "The Iron Duke" I think that's what they call it)

And, They would be Wrong...
It's called the 3.0l, 140hp...