Removing Boat from Bunk Trailer on Land

Lurch77

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Silly question, perhaps. While on dry land (driveway, yard, garage, etc) is there a way to take a 20' pontoon on and off a bunk/float-on type trailer to do either boat or trailer maintenance?

TurboM700

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Removing Boat from Bunk Trailer on Land

I can tell you how I have done it.

Mines a 24' pontoon and the toon's hang about 1' off the back of the trailer.

I let the trailers tounge down all the way so the back of the boat is up in the air as much as possible. I then build a very strudy saw horse for say that has alot of bracing both front and back and cross ways. That will go across the back of the boat.

Then I lift the tounge of the trailer back up and hook it onto the tow vehicle.

Depending how heavy toon is you might have to use a second vehicle behind the toon for an achor.

I then drive slowly forward with and wait till there is about 1 foot of toon left on the bunks.

I then make a the same "saw horse" for the front and pull the pontoon the rest of the way off.

To get it back on I just use the winch and crank her back on.

Have done this a few times and works great.

O yea dont forget to un-hook the winch strap when dragging it off. I was scrathing my head when I was doing a 4wd burn out trying to get mine off the trailer the 1st.

harley707

Cadet

also helps to wet the bunks to assist pontoons to slide

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would launch it and then recover on a borrowed scissor lift trailer

Jeep Man

Commander

Asked and answered ( From a post a couple of years ago)

To remove the boat from the trailer:
-Set the boat on the trailer farther back than normal, ideally with approximately a foot hanging over the back. Be careful as you now will likely have negative tongue weight.
-Disconnect your vehicle from the trailer. (Weight the front of the trailer if you have negative tongue weight)
-Lower the tongue all the way to the ground (or as low as you can)
-Block up under both toons at the rear.
-Raise the tongue as far as you can
-Run a long 4x4 (12' long) across under the deck at the front and block up each end securely
-Lower the tongue and slide the trailer out

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

Asked and answered ( From a post a couple of years ago)

To remove the boat from the trailer:
-Set the boat on the trailer farther back than normal, ideally with approximately a foot hanging over the back. Be careful as you now will likely have negative tongue weight.
-Disconnect your vehicle from the trailer. (Weight the front of the trailer if you have negative tongue weight)
-Lower the tongue all the way to the ground (or as low as you can)
-Block up under both toons at the rear.
-Raise the tongue as far as you can
-Run a long 4x4 (12' long) across under the deck at the front and block up each end securely
-Lower the tongue and slide the trailer out

The last time I removed my pontoon boat from my trailer was very easy.I took the trailer to my local Marina and had them use there boat lift. It cost a couple of dollars but it works very wel.l I did what I had to do to the trailer and they put everything back together so all I had to do was hook it up to the truck and go .The best time is in the first part of the week and before the season is in full gear. They are more then happy to help you out. I had four days to rebuild my trailer.

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer

Raise the motor all the way.
Take off all the straps and tie-downs.
Put the tow vehicle in reverse, and get it going as fast as you can.
Slam on the brakes.

That gets her off the trailer.

You'll have to ask another redneck how to get her back on, but I'm sure it involves a lot of beer, and probably explosives.

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class

Raise the motor all the way.
Take off all the straps and tie-downs.
Put the tow vehicle in reverse, and get it going as fast as you can.
Slam on the brakes.

That gets her off the trailer.

You'll have to ask another redneck how to get her back on, but I'm sure it involves a lot of beer, and probably explosives.

Haha
Genius!! :lol:

TurboM700

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Since I just did this weekend I thought I would show how I did this. All in all it took me about 1hr todo this and that was with building the "saw horses"

First was lower the front of the trailer all the way to the ground and build some really heavy duty saw horses to support the back.

Once that was done I took an engine hoist and picked up the front of the trailer. Could use a floor jack if you didnt have an engine hoist.

Next was build the same for the front except you have to leave of the cross bracing till the trailer is out of the way.
Here is the finish toon sitting there ready for the polishing and underskinning to start.

JJv's did a great job on clean the toons so I could start the polishing.

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

I think that when you put it back on you should make another Saw Horse to put near the front behind the other one .Then you could remove the front one to make it easier to get the boat back on the trailer.

TurboM700

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dont even need todo that. Just take off cross on the front saw horse back the trailer in lift up the tounge, take out saw horses then drop it all the way down and remove rear saw horses.