Removing a flame arrestor and replacing with custom air filer

Austo87

Cadet
Hey Guys,

I have a hard time believing that my flame arrestor is doing any justice to my engine as far as filtering the air. I understand the flame arrestor is there to prevent a backfire.
I own a 2004 Cobalt with the 5.7GXI engine

I have a company (AFE) that can make a custom non-oiled air filter and was wondering if its really that bad of an idea to replace the flame arrestor with a filter that actually makes sure the air coming into the boat engine is clean.

There are myths out there that the air over lakes, rivers, ect is clean, thus the reason why boats dont need an air filter. I find this to be false. There are air contaminants no matter where you are.

Correct me if I'm wrong or have suggestions on doing this project

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Removing a flame arrestor and replacing with custom air filer

There are a variety of aftermarket companies that sell the filter like you want. Like K and N for instance. I personally decided against spending the $100+ and just put a foam skirt from a riding lawnmower air filter around my existing flame arrestor. Cost about $7.00. BTW I used to like on Kessler Drive ? in Overland Park R U familiar.? 30 = yrs ago

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Engines and their manufacturers, (both outboard and inboard) that are decades old and still running strong would disagree with your notion about the dusty air over the water.

Standard air filters can retain oil, and gasoline, making them into an ignition threat. It begs the question; what's more valuable to you? The engine, or your life and the lives of family, and friends?

tkrfxr

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is a reason flame arrestorsare required by law on marine engines, and they must have a stamp stating they are "Coast GuardApproved"

I doubt a custom job would qualify and prevent a summons from being issued during an inspection...

Read up on the requirements and ask the manufacturer befor you spend the money.

Also, the engine you have is a common marine engine for which arrestors are easy to find....

Bondo

Staff member

Hey Guys,

I have a hard time believing that my flame arrestor is doing any justice to my engine as far as filtering the air. I understand the flame arrestor is there to prevent a backfire.
I own a 2004 Cobalt with the 5.7GXI engine

I have a company (AFE) that can make a custom non-oiled air filter and was wondering if its really that bad of an idea to replace the flame arrestor with a filter that actually makes sure the air coming into the boat engine is clean.

There are myths out there that the air over lakes, rivers, ect is clean, thus the reason why boats dont need an air filter. I find this to be false. There are air contaminants no matter where you are.

Correct me if I'm wrong or have suggestions on doing this project

Ayuh,.... I know what ya mean, I hate shovelin' the dust outa my bilge,....:facepalm:

All my motors got the flame arrestor Merc put on 'em,...

the 4.3l is nearly clickin' 2000 hours, so far... still at 150 psi per hole...

bnicov

Petty Officer 1st Class

Boats don't operate in dusty conditions. If you do, you need wheels, not a prop. The flame arrestor is all you need to run your engine for many years to come. Look at Bond-o, 2000 hours on a 4.3 which is a 5.0/5.7 with 2 cylinders lopped off. Don't worry, make sure you change your engine oil every year along with the filter and your engine will run a good long time.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

Let's see... a paper air filter, or a cotton one for what its worth, absorbing fuel vapours, one little backfire and instead of cooling/containing the flame the forementioned filter is now a fuel supply for further flames. Next someone will think automotive exhaust headers/manifolds can be installed too.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Next someone will think automotive exhaust headers/manifolds can be installed too.

It happens a couple times a year, right here at iboat.

When you don't have a clue about why things are designed like they are, you don't have a clue about what is right or wrong.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

It happens a couple times a year, right here at iboat.

When you don't have a clue about why things are designed like they are, you don't have a clue about what is right or wrong.

I agree. Most of the regulations and requirements came about because of owner/operators whose idea lightbulbs came up a few watts too dim

rav221

Seaman Apprentice

I have been doing fire investigations for over 30 years. Fires in carburated engines start in throat or air filter the majority of the time. I would never change away from a maine approved air filter, flame

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Welll i am bit partial to that stack job there...aught to be worth 5 mph just sitting there looking mean...
59-1195.jpg

http://www.knfilters.com/marine/boats.htm

Trust me here.. that would not be by anymean's.. money spent foolishly on a boat........:D