removing 83 v4 pinion gear and bearings

reckless

Seaman Apprentice
ive managed to get those darn ring clips out, took 2 days, a hanger, small needle nose pliers 2deep sockets and extensions. im reading my manual and it says i have to remove the pinion gear to remove the prop shaft and clutch/shift mech as a unit. they say use a socket but i only see room to fit a wrench what size is the nut? also i dont have the driveshaft spline tool(does anyone know where i can get one?) or an old crankshaft to use to hold the shaft.Would a large vise grip work? i was thinking of cutting a slot in the shaft to fit a wrench.as for bearings, how would i get the inner bearing out of the bearing housing,its the bigger one where the o-ring is.and changing the shift shaft o.ring,how is that done?<br />thanks for the help<br /><br /> http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=91557&messageid=1110830629

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: removing 83 v4 pinion gear and bearings

cool red x's anyway

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

You need the proper tools for this job. Just like a flywheel nut, you can get it off, now get it back on, same way with the pinion gear nut. What are you replacing? If a pinion gear, you will have to shim to tolerance, that takes a shim gage, and fixture. You have to get those snap rings back in, special snap ring pliers. What gearcase are you working with, and what are you trying to replace.

reckless

Seaman Apprentice

well i actually want to take the drive shaft off to get polished/replaced if nessessary<br />i can get a snap ring pliers made up no problem.<br />this is a v4 gearcase.(outboard)<br />where can i get the tools?<br />is shimming just the position of the pinion gear up or down on the drive shaft?<br />dont mean to sound like a dummy but ive made it this far.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

That's all you have to do, get the right clearance up, and down. Put the "new" pinion nut on at 65 ft/lbs. and you got it.

reckless

Seaman Apprentice

ok sounds simple enough, what about the shift shaft o-ring and the bearing housing bearing,<br /> i know for sure to get the bearing out ill need a tool but the old ones are still good so they can stay.<br />nobody knows a source for these "SPECIAL TOOLS?"

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Any authorized dealer can order them for you. Another place that carries many of the tools is precisionmfgsales.com.<br /><br />You should have a service manual before starting work on the gearcase.

reckless

Seaman Apprentice

i have the seloc manual and it was a big help,tho its not as detailed as the oem.<br />thanks alot guys

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

if you have acess to a junk v4-v6 crank ,cut the splined end off and weld a 1/2" drive socket to it. instant spline tool. if you change bearings or fwd/pinion gears the shim hieght on the gear must be checked/set using the OMC shim bar. the snapring pliers are made by tru-arc and some others. years ago we ground off the tips of a pair of needle nose and welded small rods to extend the handles. and yes shimming sets the distance from the shoulder on the pinion gearto the nottom flange of the upper bearing housing.someplace I have the measurement. do you have acess to a machine shop? and why does the drive shaft need polising?

ob15

Chief Petty Officer

vencio, I'm in the same boat as you (pun intended). I need to rebuild my lower unit. I would highly recommend the factory manual. It will tell you all the steps and the special tools you need. Unless you plan to spend as much money on tools as on the parts, I would let the local J/E dealer to do some of the work for you. Things he can do<br /><br />Remove pinion gear<br />remove & install new bearings<br />shim the drive shaft<br /><br />I'm sure you would probably spend a small fortune on tools just to do the above.

reckless

Seaman Apprentice

like i said i dont have acess to a bad crank, ive seen most of the tools can be made actuallt there not some special alloy or high tech aerospace stuff,anyone with machine shop knowledge and tools can make em.we have a machine shop here<br />i dont mind buying tools because i plan to start rebuilding motors in my spare time.<br />as for y i need polishing check out the like below. <br /> http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs20&d=05112&f=DRVSHAFT.JPG <br /><br />anyone know the pinion nut size?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

If possible, try to get an OEM special tools catalog. This book has very good pictures of the tool's needed, and in some cases how they are used. If you have a machine shop, many of these tool's are easy to make. As for the pinion nut size, if you have a set of Snap-on, or Sear's Pro-line open end wrench's, they are thin in cross section. Use these to check the nut size. Besides being a mechanic, my hobby is machine tools, and like most hobbie's it has gotten totally out of hand. I have three lathes, and a vertical mill, with most of the attachments. Most of the seal, and bearing pullers, or drivers are quite easy to make. Many of these tool's can get exspensive, so making them can be worth the time. One tool that I have made is a guage, and fittings for checking VRO, or oil pump consumption. That has been put to a lot of use.