Removing 110 Gallon Fuel tank

drem312

Petty Officer 1st Class
if possible would like to salvage how do you hook up to it to remove,,,I have a wrecker so lifting it wont be a problem ,, what are the options?? the tank is 110 gallons probably original 1989 and its been sitting surrounded by wet foam and i think some of the water is salt,,, I started to remove the foam to help it dry out around the stringers and I know the bottom that the tank is sitting on must be soaked is there a way to remove safely? do I drain the tank take out the sender then use a flat bar on a rope put it in the tank then turn sideways would that work noticed the water and broken up foam on the right side do you think leaving it in is a option /fuel tank.jpg

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Removing 110 Gallon Fuel tank

Once you drain out the fuel the tank will be light enough to lift yourself. Siphon it out via the gauge sender access. There may be fasteners under the foam, so you might dig it out, if the tank won't pull out.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Howdy,

You also should ensure that you have good ventilation and even wash the tank out a couple of times with detergent/water after you get all the fuel out.

Be careful of sparks or other ignition sources...... :eek::eek:.........you may wake up several feet away from the boat (if you wake up)!!

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class

make sure there is no foam touching the tank itself. That stuff acts like an adhesive. I had to cut all the way around mine before the tank would budge.

T

drem312

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks tonight I spent a few hours removing the foam and I use a hand saw to cut all around the tank,,,as far as lifting it out after the fuel is removed what do I attach to? I have a friend with a wrecker and it will reach but do i take the sender out and put something in there ?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

If it has been sitting in wet salty foam, there is a good chance that it is corroded to the point of being unsafe--you won't be able to tell until you take it out though.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Drem, After you empty the tank it will weigh 50# at most. Will a wrecker lift it, sure, but why bother.

Grab it by the fuel gauge sender access hole and the fuel pickup fitting and hoist it out.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

if you want to put a rope in it to help lift from the hole, use a broom handle not a metal bar.

drem312

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have been reading that since the tank is sitting in a bed of half frozen foam which is like an adheisieve it probably wont budge and the thought of a crane slowy lifting that tank out(for free) while I drink a molson ice seems ok to me

Tahorover

Chief Petty Officer

Howdy,

You also should ensure that you have good ventilation and even wash the tank out a couple of times with detergent/water after you get all the fuel out.

Be careful of sparks or other ignition sources...... :eek::eek:.........you may wake up several feet away from the boat (if you wake up)!!
putting a few pounds of dry ice in the tank will stop any chance of a fire.