Remove stern drive?

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Howdy all :cool: <br /><br />I have a Four Winns Sundowner 195, and I need to pull the engine out of it... does this require me removing the stern drive? <br /><br />I would like to keep as many parts on the boat as I possible can, w/o having to remove thing unnecessarily...<br /><br />if I keep the drive on, will that cause any damage?<br /><br />hey thanks<br />david

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: Remove stern drive?

Yes,you will have to pull the drive off for sure.The drive shaft is inserted to the rear of the motor.Charlie

Bondo

Staff member

You don't state Which outdrive you have,<br />But, Trust me, Your life will be Much Easier to Pull it Before you start.......<br />It's Got to come off before you can Reinstall the motor Anyway.........<br />This applies to OMC Cobras, Volvos,+ All Mercruisers..........

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i'm sorry, it is an Merc Alpha 1 Gen 1...<br /><br />so yank that badboy out there then huh?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

It is not difficult to remove and it should be serviced anyway.We can walk you through it but you should have a manual on hand.Make sure the throttle is in full forward before you begin.Charlie

Bondo

Staff member

No, Just in Forward Gear.......<br />This Aligns the Shifter Shoe in a straight line with the direction the outdrive has to slide Off.....<br />It can be seen by looking Up, from below the drive.....<br />In Neutral, or Reverse You'll be Bending things to get it off......<br /><br />In a nutshell...............<br />Move Shifter to Forward gear.......<br />Loosen the 2, 9/16ths nuts on the Forward end of the trim cyls....<br />Remove the 2, nuts holding the rear of the cyls,+ slide them free of the drive.......<br />Remove the 6, 5/8ths nuts holding the drive to the bellhousing........<br />Slide the drive Off.............<br />It weighs about 70lbs. or so.......<br />BTW, these are Wrench sizes, rather than the actual nut sizes(3/8s,+ 7/16s).......<br /><br />Good Luck.....

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

this will be my task for this evening... will late you all know how it turn out :) <br /><br />again thank you all for the info!!<br /><br />david

Walt T

Lieutenant

Tomorrow morning he comes back and tells us about his emergency room visit from a skeg on his foot.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

So walt is not correct make sure to put a board under the skeg long enough to be able to pull the drive back out of the belhousing with the skeg still being able to rest on the board.Boy,it sure feels heavier than 70 lbs are you sure about that Bondo?????Charlie

Bondo

Staff member

Nope.........<br />That's Just a Guess.......... :D <br />I'm not that Big a fella,+ I have No Problem tossing them around......<br /><br />Can't be Over 100#..........

Darian F.

Seaman

Hope he dosen't have a swim platform, but then again don't they all.

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hope he dosen't have a swim platform
oh i do :) <br /><br />but I was able by all of you driections to remove the drive with no problems... I want to thank you all for your help!!<br /><br />PS. no broken bones :cool: