Remove quick-connect on old Johnson?

DallasJeff

Seaman
I'm still having fuel system problems with my recently acquired '54 Johsnon 10HP. My problem is that I need a new o-ring on the fuel line because it leaks. I removed the old o-ring and it is badly cracked and pitted. Is there any problem running the motor with the fuel line connected directly without the quick-connect fittings? I have the old dual-line pressure tank.

Anybody know a good boat shop in the Dallas area to get parts for an old Johnson motor?

I called several repair shops listed in the yellow pages and only two shops actually answered the phone. The others had an answering service but never called me back. The one I found sold me the wrong o-ring. Maybe I'm better off ordering online???

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: Remove quick-connect on old Johnson?

Yes, you can direct connect them, I have seen it done that way. But I would get the O rings as they are less than $2 each and then you will have a good original system. I'd order them online if the shipping was not too much.

DallasJeff

Seaman

Thanks for that info. I've been looking far and wide locally for the correct o-ring. I bought the single-line connector from Bass Pro Shop just to pull the o-ring. But it doesn't fit properly, too big. And the local OMC repair I found was not very friendly and sold me the wrong part.

I pulled the quick connect fitting off the motor and bought new fuel lines at the auto store. At least I can stop trolling the lake now and actually see how well this old Johnson runs.

I plan to order the correct o-ring from the iboat store along with a carb kit. The coils and impeller were replaced by the previous owner.

eterry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If the boat shops in Dallas are like the ones in Wichita Falls I wouldnt hold my breath on getting help. I had a 1972 20 hp seaking and all I got when I took it to the shop was the run-around. One guy just opened the side door to his shop, looked across the parking lot out at my boat/motor and said he couldnt help me. Another said they didnt make parts for mine anymore but he could sell me a good motor. I finally found a local guy who works in them as a hobby, he is a great guy and helped tremendously. That and the help from here kept/keeps me on the water.

Eterry

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

The OMC part number is 301824 and is $1.95 at my local OMC dealer.