Removal of broken head bolt

zaayer

Cadet
Is there an easy way to remove a broken head bolt on a 2012 VP 8.1? This is a one of the head bolts above the exaust port. I noticed water leaking from behind the exaust manifold and found that one the head bolts broke off. The water was coming from behind the bolt head. Is there any shortcut to remove the threaded portion of the bolt from inside the block without a teardown of the engine? I am pretty handy, but I have never removed heads from an engine and I think that may be beyond what I am comfortable doing.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you have to remove the head and replace the head gasket anyway.

so start by removing the manifold, then the intake manifold, then the head

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Is there an easy way to remove a broken head bolt on a 2012 VP 8.1? This is a one of the head bolts above the exaust port. I noticed water leaking from behind the exaust manifold and found that one the head bolts broke off. The water was coming from behind the bolt head. Is there any shortcut to remove the threaded portion of the bolt from inside the block without a teardown of the engine? I am pretty handy, but I have never removed heads from an engine and I think that may be beyond what I am comfortable doing.
Is part of it sticking out once you remove the head?

On things like this and exhaust manifold bolts if you can get at a stub of it and apply some penetrating oil and heat you may be able to get it out. If there is enough of a stub I put a pipe wrench on the bolt after heating it.

If broken off flush usually weld a nut to it, worst case drill and tap it out...

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Depending on your experience & skill set it may be better to take the boat to a machinist….