Remounting 74’ 85 HP Johnson

tricks4u

Cadet
Remounting 74’ 85 HP Johnson<br /><br />I had to pull my 74’ 85 HP Johnson, because I had a small leak on the top inside bolt. After beating my brains out (what’s left of it) on how I was going to lift the engine off the boat, and returning the 4X4’s I was going to use to build a hoist, I wised up and rented a cherry picker (worked great) I pulled the engine off the boat checked the transom for damage it was fine thank god!, I then cleaned everything up put sealer on the mount itself, filled the holes and put some on the bolts sat the engine back in place and tighten her up most of the way, I was told to let it set up before putting the final wrench to it. After I had the first tightening done, I noticed that the lip of the bracket that hangs the engine on the transom was not tight against the inside of the transom.<br /><br />I know this description may be a bit confusing, so I’m attaching a link at the bottom of this message to a pic of how it sits on the transom now in hopes it helps you to understand what I’m talking about. After thinking about it, it would seem that the lip on the hanging bracket could not stay tight against the top of the transom anyway. If I pull the engine so that lip is sung against the transom, then the bracket that bolts down would be sitting out from the face of the transom, when I tighten up the bolts it would pull the bolting bracket to the face of the transom which would push the inside lip of the hanging bracket away from the back of the transom, unless the bolting bracket swivels. I was thinking I could put some shims in between the top inside transom and the hanging bracket, at least for the remainder of the season, when I pull her for winter I could do a remount. Any ideas would help, I may not even have a problem here, I wish I had taken a photo of the engine before taking it off, I did this with some of the parts that had to be unattached so I know how to hook them back up, but didn’t think to take one of how it was mounted, it very well could have been mounted this way to begain with. Thanks for any help<br /><br /><br /> http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/tricks_22310/detail?.dir=81c9&.dnm=356e.jpg&.src=ph

Goodoleboy

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Remounting 74’ 85 HP Johnson

Dosent need to touch inside of transom.<br /><br />Good luck!

tricks4u

Cadet

Thank GOD!<br />I had more sealer on me and the tools than I did the boat! I did not want to re do it!<br /><br />Thanks

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Are you sure thats not mounting it too low?

tricks4u

Cadet

It shouldn't be to low, I bolted it to the existing bolt pattren, so it has to be the same height as before.

tricks4u

Cadet

I see what you are saying, I have to take a closer look, but from a peak I took last night it appears to be about an 1" lower than it should, which might come from the motor being a long shaft and the boat came with a short shaft. Can this harm anything with short term use? I would like to wait until the end of the season before remounting or buying a new engine.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

you might not get the same performance outta the boat as you did.... Why did you pull the motor to fix a leaking mounting boat (from what I understand....<br /><br />You should be able to take out the top 2 bolts...loosen the bottom and slide it up... then fill top holes with sealant... (and some on bolt if your finicky and replace them. Then take out the bottom 2 bolts and reseal... You might have to clean out the bottom bolt area (to remove dried sealant so you can raise it) <br />Who knows...I could be wrong