Remote shift control problem???

Hi all,<br /> better start from the begining, I recently had problems with my 5.7 omc cobra set up not wanting to come "out" of gear as easily as some of you said they should so traced that problem back and fixed it and now that side of things is great with not even knowing you have pulled it out of gear it happens so easily :) .<br />Also had the Carb rebuilt while I was at it and noticed when it came back from the shop I had to "extend" the cable end to fit the ball (connects to the butterfly shaft) so unsure what he did there? but it works fine anyway.<br />My problem that has arised now is that when I move the lever forward to engage gear & go The throttle is being activated too soon and bringing up the revs before the last bit of movement in the gear shift cable before the gears engage so hence "they dont!" obviously because the engine is now reving too high.<br />I have scratched my head over & over to where there is now a bald spot! and cannot figure what is going wrong now as I havnt changed anything in the cable ect side of things.<br />Sorry to admitt but I do have a Clymer manual which has nothing on setting the"timing??" of the cables as from memory the throttle never moved untill well after gears had engaged.<br />Any help on "how too" would be greatly appreciated.

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Remote shift control problem???

Wow, this brings me back to my old Bayliner days. I assume that you have a single lever control. while I cannot understand what was done when you had the carb rebuilt, the fact that you had to " extend the cable" to fit on the carb is the problem. I would suggest that you disconnect the cable trunion and spin it a few times to create some slack on the carb connection. The trunion is the "barrel" connection where the cable is connected before the carb, it is on a threaded connection, and if disconnected and spun around a few times will push out the thottle cable....pushing it toward idle. This should solve this problem.