Remote oil filter for Mercruiser 3.0l

johan75

Seaman Apprentice
Hi.

I'm going to have to put a remote oil filter on my 3.0l Mercruiser, it's too much trouble changing it as it is now.

After a brief search on the web there doesn't seem to be any kits available anymore for the 3.0l, as there are for the larger Mercs. What are my options? Will some other kit fit or do I have to get all the parts separately? Also, are there any aftermarket makers that make suitable parts, or a kit? I might add that I need to find a shop that ships to Europe.

The engine is a two year old replacement long-block. The original serial was 0C405637, sold -89.

Cheers,

Johan

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Remote oil filter for Mercruiser 3.0l

Hi.

I'm going to have to put a remote oil filter on my 3.0l Mercruiser, it's too much trouble changing it as it is now.

After a brief search on the web there doesn't seem to be any kits available anymore for the 3.0l, as there are for the larger Mercs. What are my options? Will some other kit fit or do I have to get all the parts separately? Also, are there any aftermarket makers that make suitable parts, or a kit? I might add that I need to find a shop that ships to Europe.

The engine is a two year old replacement long-block. The original serial was 0C405637, sold -89.

Cheers,

Johan

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... The 3.0l takes the Same filter as the SBCs do,...

So, while there's No kit, you should be able to build yer own system, usin' parts for the V8 motors,...

The Issue is gonna be the differences 'tween the oil filter adapter on the 3.0l block, vs; the oil filter adapter of the V-motors,...
It Won't be a simple plug, 'n play adaptation,...

As Easy as the oil filter is to get to on a 3.0l, What sorta Problems are ya havin',..??

Last edited:

johan75

Seaman Apprentice

Hi.

OK, I see. What's the difference between the adapter on the 3.0 block and the V-engines? If that's the only difference, I could get an aftermarket kit for a V-8 and an OEM fitting for the 3.0l, assuming the hose connectors are the same... The original 3.0l block adaptor is part number 818400A 1 right?

The problem is a closed cooling system I've installed on that side of the engine. It's a little too tight between the hose from the water pump and the oil filter. Sure I could redo that, use another hose or something, but it's quite nice IMO except of this side-effect. Also, I would like to be able to either put a low-pressure alarm or an oil-temp sender on the remote adaptor, as a bonus.

Cheers,

Johan

johan75

Seaman Apprentice

Yup, I could do that. That site states they don't ship OEM parts overseas to comply to Mercury policy, so I would need to find a local one. That's no problem but I don't think they have them in stock, so there would be ordering and the price would get high I'm afraid.

Any idea to turn to the automotive side, at least for everything else but the adaptors?

BigDog98

Chief Petty Officer

Yup, I could do that. That site states they don't ship OEM parts overseas to comply to Mercury policy, so I would need to find a local one. That's no problem but I don't think they have them in stock, so there would be ordering and the price would get high I'm afraid.

Any idea to turn to the automotive side, at least for everything else but the adaptors?

What is the main reason for replacement? Why do you want to relocate the oil rig?

Bondo

Staff member

The original 3.0l block adaptor is part number 818400A 1 right?

The problem is a closed cooling system I've installed on that side of the engine. It's a little too tight between the hose from the water pump and the oil filter. Sure I could redo that, use another hose or something, but it's quite nice IMO except of this side-effect.

Ayuh,.... That part number is the standard Merc part for the SBCs, 'n BBCs,....

It may well fit the 3.0l, that's what I ain't Sure of,..

The oil filter adapter I'm speakin' of is the Chevy piece, bolted to the block, that the filter screws too,...

Seein's the SBCs, BBCs, 'n the 3.0l use the Same oil filters, aka: the screw thread/ o-ring interface, is the same,...
'n It appears the adapter noted attaches, As a filter does,... It Oughta fit,..

As for yer fitment issue, Chevy oil filters can be had in various lengths,...
From 'bout 3", to 'bout 9",...

johan75

Seaman Apprentice

BigDog98:

It's very tight to get the new filter in due to a hose from the water pump to the heat exchanger. I have a freshwater cooling system. That's the main reason. I would also like to fit an oil temp gauge, IOW get what a standard oil filter sandwich would do between the block and filter.

Last edited:

johan75

Seaman Apprentice

Bondo:

That's what I as thinking also. As the filters are the same, the adapters etc. should fit. Perhaps aftermarket makers don't brand their products for the four-banger as it's rare anyone needs this setup and they also include a plate that attaches to the V-8 block. In my case I would mount it in the box beside the engine, so on-engine mounting is not needed.

As for the fitment issue, the hose presses a little on the filter side, so length, shorter or longer won't help. OK, well not much. A longer would perhaps be slightly easier to get on I suppose.

Cheers,

Johan

Last edited:

BigDog98

Chief Petty Officer

BigDog98:

It's very tight to get the new filter in due to a hose from the water pump to the heat exchanger. I have a freshwater cooling system. That's the main reason. I would also like to fit an oil temp gauge, IOW get the what a standard oil filter sandwich would do between the block and filter.

Ohh ok. Well in that case then your idea is good!

fishrdan

Admiral

This kit should work fine.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/trd-1122/overview/make/gmc

Personal preference, but I like this kit with the hoses coming out of the remote adapter horizontally, better, but this kit doesn't include the hose(s).

Oh yeah, if you need to clamp the hoses (not pre-made hoses), double clamp each connection with the clamp screws clocked 180* from each other.

Last edited:

johan75

Seaman Apprentice

Excellent fishrdan!

That's about what I had in mind. You're right about the horizontal fittings, that would be better. I might get the first kit to work also, as long as the hoses are long enough.

Do you know those kits fit the 3.0l?

Cheers,

Johan

Last edited: