Remembering starting procedures...GOOD OUTCOME

Dave Brick

Seaman
Had my 60 ELEN out today. Haven't run in about 4-5 weeks, so when I went to start it, I raised the throttle lever all the way (which I usually don't do). Engine started fine, seemed rough at the high rpms, but smoothed right out when I went back to idle during warm up.

Headed out of the harbor at no-wake speed, running perfectly. Right at the no-wake buoys, throttled up, immediately ran really rough and shaky. Played around with the throttle a bit, but it would not run right unless rpms were low (in OR out of gear).

Thought maybe that starting it too rich had fouled a plug. Pulled the plugs, they were a little damp, but not really fouled. Just wiped them off, put them back, motor started and ran perfectly the rest of the day, 36 mph on the GPS, new record for me. YIPPEE!

I guess when the old timers around here say things like, "all motors start up a little different, figure out your own start procedure, how your motor likes to start, and keep doing it that way", they know what they are talking about.

Anybody else experience anything similar?

cdn-pk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Remembering starting procedures...GOOD OUTCOME

yeah my 77 140hp was like that only raise the warm up lever halfway up... but no more than 3/4. It never really needed any choke either. Only need choke when the water was cold (May and October around here)

cheers