Remember the Skunk Story??

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=000312#000000 <br /><br />Well late last night the skunk smell officially left the building. The entire building burnt to the ground and thankfully no one was hurt.<br /><br />As for Jennifer well she has stayed at my home since that incident and in May 2005 we are scheduled to marry.<br /><br />Yes, we are planning on having a pair of small plastic skunks on the cake.<br /><br />Bob

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral
Re: Remember the Skunk Story??

ahhh... the old "trained skunk" trick bob?<br />congrats,<br />M.Y.

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

Bob,<br />I don't know how I missed that story to begin with. I have been sprayed before. I can't imagine anyone even walking into that hallway and being able to breath long enough to spray anything!!<br /><br />Oh and a CONGRATULATIONS on the upcoming nuptials!<br /><br />AK Chappy

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by AK Chappy:<br />Oh and a CONGRATULATIONS on the upcoming nuptials!<br /><br />AK Chappy
Oh, nuptials, hehehe, glad my glasses will be in Friday. :D

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Congrats, nice outcome to a smelly situation! <br /><br />Wish I read the forum two years ago, I actually know the answer! I used this on my dog when he got sprayed. I could let him inside and not smell any skunk unless i was within inches of the spot he got hit. He had some on his head, otherwise I bet I could have washed him more thoroughly and got rid on all traces of the smell.<br /><br />For the benefit of anyone else that has to deal with skunk spray:<br /><br /><br />Skunk Spray Remedy<br /><br />Usually dogs take a hit in the neck area. Typically they are sprayed while provoking the skunk and turn their head, while being sprayed, in order to avoid it. <br /><br />First Aid <br />First check to see if your dog was injured by the skunk. If your dog is bleeding or appears to have been bitten, consult a vet immediately. Skunks may carry rabies. If vaccinated, your dog is safe from the rabies virus (but you are not!). <br /><br />What you need <br />1 quart of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide, H2O2. Use fresh (unopened) hydrogen peroxide (H2O2). Hydrogen peroxide eventually turns into water (H2O).<br />1/4 cup of Baking Soda <br />1 teaspoon of Liquid Soap <br />1 pair of plastic or latex gloves <br /><br />To Use <br />Bathe the dog outside or, if it's too dark or cold, in the bathroom with the door closed and window opened. <br />Combine the ingredients in an open container (do not store in a sealed bottle--it can burst).<br />Using gloves, wash your dog with lukewarm water and the mixture while the mixture is bubbling. Work the mixture well into the fur. <br />Be sure to concentrate on the area that was sprayed. <br />Keep mixture away from your dog's face and eyes (it's a harsh solution). If your dog has been sprayed in the face, try an over-the-counter liquid douche. <br />Let the mixture stand for 10 minutes or so before rinsing off.<br />Rinse the dog with lukewarm tap water. Don't wash the mixture into your dog's eyes (use a washcloth to cover the eyes if you're rinsing the head). <br />After bathing, check the dog's eyes. If they are red and watering, your dog may have taken a direct hit in the face. Skunk spray won't blind the dog, but it's painful. Contact a vet.<br /><br />How it works <br />Paul Krebaum is a materials engineer. He was looking for a way to neutralize the sulphury smell of a gas given off by chemical reactions in his lab. He turned to his chemistry books, and reasoned that hydrogen peroxide could neutralize the smell by oxidizing the gas. <br />"The receptors that are in your nose are sensitive to sulfur in its low oxidation state, however they are not sensitive to sulphur in its high oxidation state." <br /><br />Krebaum mixed together a few household ingredients and came up with a formula that deodorized the hydrogen sulphide gas. Hydrogen peroxide and baking soda, when combined, become a "chemical engine" for churning out oxygen. That's why it has to be used immediately after mixing. The soap breaks up the oils in the skunk spray, allowing the other ingredients to do their work. <br /><br />A quote from Dr. Caceci of Texas A&M University: <br />"Forget what you have heard about tomato juice--it doesn't work. Skunk spray is mainly composed of low molecular weight thiol compounds. ("Thiols" are compounds with the "-SH radical" attached to a carbon atom.) In industrial applications, alkaline hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) is used for scrubbing similar compounds from waste gas streams."<br /><br />ALTERNATIVELY: Oxyclean mixed with a liquid detergent should work as well

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like that "cloud" had a silver lining, Bob.<br /><br />Congratulations, and may you both live happily everafter. :)

cjones4@hvc.rr.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class

One more update: Jennifer has posted a reward to anyone who can give a formula that she can put in a spray bottle and "spritz" around and will kill the smell. Jennifer will personally bake, package and ship three dozen cookies of your choice. (Kerosene, gasoline and flammables are not eligible! Burning is out of the question.)<br />
I guess burning wasn't out of the question after all!

Triton II

Commander

Guess it wasn't only Jennifer who couldn't stand the skunk stink!