remember the days

miloman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Close your eyes....And go back.... Before the Internet or the MAC…Before semi automatics and crack…Before SEGA or Super Nintendo...Way back.......<br /><br />I'm talkin' bout hide and go seek at dusk.<br /><br />Red light,Green light.<br /><br />Playing kickball & dodgeball until the street lights came on.<br /><br />Mother May I? Red Rover. Hula Hoops.<br /><br />Running through the sprinkler. Happy Meals.<br /><br />Watchin' Saturday Morning cartoons. Fat Albert, Road Runner,<br /><br />Smurfs, Picture Pages, G-Force<br /><br />The kids from the show Saved By The <ST1:CITY><ST1:pLACE>Bell</ST1:pLACE></ST1:CITY> were your idols, <br /><br />and all the girls were in love with Zack<br /><br />Wonder Woman & Super Man Underoos. Playing Dukes of Hazard.<br /><br />Catchin' lightning bugs in a jar.<br /><br />Christmas morning..you were so happy and now your not that happy lil kid any more<br /><br />Your first day of school.<br /><br />Bedtime Prayers and Goodnight Kisses.<br /><br />Climbing trees.<br /><br />Getting an Ice Cream off the Ice Cream Truck.<br /><br />A million mosquito bites and sticky fingers. <br /><br />Jumpin down the steps.<br /><br />Being tired from playin'....<br /><br />Your first crush......<br /><br />Rainy days at school meant playing "Heads up 7Up" in the class room.<br /><br />Remember that? I'm not finished yet....<br /><br />Kool-aid was the drink of summer.<br /><br />Riding your friends on your handle bars.<br /><br />Wearing your new shoes on the first day of school. <br />Class Field Trips.<br /><br />When nearly everyone's mom was at home when the kids got there.<br /><br />When a quarter seemed like a fair allowance and another quarter a miracle.<br /><br />When any parent could discipline any kid, or feed him or use him to carry groceries, and nobody, not even the kid, thought a thing of it.<br /><br />When your parents took you to McDonalds and you were so cool. <br />When being sent to the principal's office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited a misbehaving student at home.<br /><br />Basically, we were in fear for our lives, <br /><br />but it wasn't because of drive by shootings, drugs, gangs, etc.<br /><br />Our parents and grandparents were a much bigger threat! <br /><br />And some of us are still afraid of em!!!<br /><br />Didn't that feel good, just to go back and say, Yeah, I remember that!<br /><br />There's nothing like the good old days! <br /><br />They were good then, and they're good now when we think about them. <br />Share some of these thoughts with a friend who can relate, <br /><br />then share it with someone that missed out on them.<br /><br />I want to go back to the time when............<br /><br />Decisions were made by going "eeny-meeny-miney-mo", <br /><br />mistakes were corrected by simply exclaiming, "do over!"<br /><br />"Race issue" meant arguing about who ran the fastest.<br /><br />Money issues were handled by whoever was the banker in Monopoly.<br /><br />Catching the fireflies could happily occupy an entire evening.<br /><br />Being old, referred to anyone over 20.<br /><br />The worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was cooties.<br /><br />Nobody was prettier than Mom.<br /><br />Scrapes and bruises were kissed and made better.<br /><br />It was no big deal to finally be tall enough to ride, <br /><br />the "big people" rides at the amusement park.<br /><br />Getting a foot of snow was a dream come true.<br /><br />Abilities were discovered because of a "double-dog-dare".<br /><br />Spinning around, getting dizzy and falling down was cause for giggles.<br /><br />The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team.<br /><br />Water balloons were the ultimate weapon.<br /><br />Older siblings were the worst tormentors, but also the fiercest protectors.<br /><br />If you can remember most or all of these, then you have LIVED!!!!<br /><br />Pass this on to anyone who may need a break from their "grown up" life...<br /><br />I DOUBLE DOG DARE YOU!!!!!!!

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer
Re: remember the days

I remember committing terrible crimes, like riding a bike without a helmet or skateboarding without kneepads.<br /><br />I remember when trophies were only given to the winners.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I remember when there were no bicycle helmets. And when a car came, from either direction, you stopped your bike at the curb, got off, and waited till the car passed.

KennyKenCan

Commander

Anyone remember leaving the house at 9 AM on a summer morning and not returning home until it was supper time?<br /><br />And God forbid if you were late for supper!<br /><br />Remember this rule?<br /><br />Don't go out of our town?<br /><br />Now it's, don't leave the block!!

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

fond memories 4 sure Milo :D <br />KKC, rule was come in when street lights came on.<br />we had freedom, unlike most kids today...

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I can remember very well that if the neighbor beat your butt, you had another from your dad when you got home! :(

rogerwa

Commander

I can remember getting my first new bike when I was in ninth grade and I worshipped it. I couldn't ride it. I could only sit on it in the garage because I kept getting grounded.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

I'm only 29 and I remember them days. We grew up in pinto wagons and hatch backs. My dad always bought them because they were cheap and nobody else wanted them. I do remember my idea of "be home before dark" and moms was different, I think I still have some marks from that issue.

oddjob

Commander

Yes I remember,... For lunch, we ate wild mulberrys and blackberrys or peaches and green apples to avoid going home for any meal. We would spend the night in a sleeping bag, in a metal lawn chair, fishing with crawlers, waking up in the darkness to someone missing a big one! ah! it was a routine.

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

...catching lightening bugs and smearing them on your body...<br /><br />....wondering where Daddy got the strength to crank the ice cream churn that long...<br /><br />....sucking on some of the salty ice out of the churn...<br /><br />....watching the old men play dominoes and spit in buckets filled with fresh cut bermuda grass clippings..<br /><br />....the clank and hoots of the same men playing horseshoes late into summer nights heavy with the smell of magnolias....<br /><br />....having a neighbor that was good with engines show you the correct way to set your dwell...<br /><br />....your first breakup with a serious girlfriend....

Bob in Calif.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I remember sintching some vodka out of my parents liquor cabnet, to enhance my "Near Beer." :D <br /><br /> ...Bob in Calif.

Link

Rear Admiral

milo<br />Great post and yes we have all seen this before but it's fun to think back.<br />
When any parent could discipline any kid, or feed him or use him to carry groceries, and nobody, not even the kid, thought a thing of it.<br />
And God forbid if Mr or Mrs (fill in the name) might mention even a week or two later to your parents how they had to discipline you..<br /><br />KKC<br />
Anyone remember leaving the house at 9 AM on a summer morning and not returning home until it was supper time?<br /><br />And God forbid if you were late for supper!<br />
I grew up in a little logging town and everyone ate supper at about the same time. And yes them was the rules! But it was ok to ask if you could eat at your friends house but only if (the two of you) asked his/her mother first and somehow it was alway OK..

rwise

Captain

selling fresh eggs and garden vegies from the little red wagon.<br />Mom getting up to find foil, butter, salt and pepper, and a fishing pole or two and me gone,,,, for a few days! Kids can't do that today