Relocation time

rudeafrican

Petty Officer 1st Class
As some of you might remember, I've been trying to legally move to the US for a number of years. The stumbling block has been finding an employer that was willing go through all the hassles to have work permits approved etc.<br /><br />Well it finally seems that I've found an employer willing to sponsor my work permit application. I need to complete my final interview with the company and then await their decision. Should be around 3 months before anything is finalised.<br /><br />I need a bit of advice and some general info. The company is based in Newark, DE. From what I can gather, it's a very small state with no large cities. Newark having a population of 29000. What sort of salary should I be looking at for that area? The job is in the IT field. What is a decent living wage for a family of 5? Salary negotiation is reasonably flexible but I don't want to outprice myself from the start.<br /><br />What sort of benifits should I be looking at?<br /><br />I've always wanted to live at the coast, Delaware being a coastal state would be ideal. Would it be feasable to not live in Newark and travel on a daily basis to work? say 30 - 40 miles or would traffic in that area be prohibitive?<br /><br />Any responses would be greatly appreciated

LadyFish

Admiral
Re: Relocation time

Maybe this will help.Keep in mind the only information I could find is from 2003. web page

revertmastec

Petty Officer 1st Class

Newark is not that far from Philadelphia, PA. Being that close to any major city makes traffic a problem. Wilmington is the closest major city to Newark. Look for something in New Castle county should get you close enough and keep you off of RT 95. Salary is that area is on the high side as cost of living is relatively high. One plus is that the roads in De are one of the best in the country and there is no sales tax.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Rude,<br /><br />My sister lives in that area and is in the IT field and she does very well for herself. <br /><br />It seems to me that most of the jobs in that area or either financial or with Dupont.<br /><br />Traffic is going to be a problem. 30 - 40 miles for a commute, to me, is HUGE. I wouldn't commute more than 20 miles each way.<br /><br />My sisters employer lets her work from home a few days a week, which is a little rare, but a very nice benifit. <br /><br />The coast is probably about an hour away. A lot of nice beaches and super fishing.<br /><br />I think you'll find a lot of good information if you spend some time on google searching around for the area your looking at living in. <br /><br />The no sales tax thing is nice too!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

but the cold is awesome. bonechilling nasty cold 5 to 7 months a year :) <br /> how them yankees live in it I aint gotta clue. I think it has something to do with road salts :)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Here is a great site for info on any US community.<br />You can use it to compare different cities, states, counties, etc.<br />According to it, Newark has a population of 273,000, not 29,000. <br /><br /><br /> http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/34/3451000.html <br /><br /><br /> http://factfinder.census.gov/servle...Town=&_state=04000US34&_zip=&_lang=en&_sse=on <br /><br />Read the statistics carefully. Some are per capita, some per household.<br /><br /><br />As with any move to an unfamiliar area, I would rent for 6 months to a year to become familiar with the area. No sense in making an uninformed decision when buying a house.<br /><br />See you soon.<br /><br />Oh, this area is nothing like the state of Colorado, or Springfield MO. :) <br /><br />Good Luck.

SoulWinner

Commander

RudeAfrican,<br /><br />Let me be the first to welcome you to the most wonderful nation in the history of the Universe. Ok, you may not like it as much I do, but anyway, welcome to America. I hope that like me, you can make your dreams a reality here.

D

DJ

Rudeafrican,<br /><br />Let me give you a piece of advice. Don't ask about benefits. Tell the company/employer what you can offer them instead of what they can offer you.<br /><br />If you can offer the following, you'll get hired.<br /><br />1. Honesty.<br /><br />2. Show up on time, every time.<br /><br />3. Drug free.<br /><br />4. Can clearly communicate, especially in English.<br /><br />Many would argue with those qualifications. Those that would don't hire/supervise people or they work for the government.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

rudeafrican<br /> what the rest say. all I can say is welcome to the most imperfect but best country on the globe. you will find people from all walks of life and all religions and various beliefs. you will find some that some will go fist fighting with a neighbor over passages in the bible. you will find others that dont care enough to vote in a town election. however you will find a population that wont tolerate injustice and will band together to fight a common enemy. some times our legal system works slowly, sometimes our system gets bogged down, sometimes our elected officials have an agenda to help themselves. but overall our system works cause most americans, wheather by birth or naturilzation, have a common vision. just some have a different road map to get there.

Rudeafr2

Recruit

Hi again guys. Sorry about the different name. I reregistered as my logon details are not on my personal PC at home. <br /><br />Thanks for all the advice and good wishes. Life is very exciting and hectic at this point in time and the family is very also very excited about our new life.<br /><br />DJ, those values I also hold dear, especially the speaking english part!!<br /><br />Hey Roscoe, thanks for those links, really useful info there. I've just relooked at those links and they are are for Newark, NJ not Newark, DE. No sweat to get the right state though.We must wet a line and share a beer once I'm settled. I've always respected your point of view and enjoyed your posts on this forum.<br /><br />JSfinn, rodbolt and SW, thanks for those kind words and I have seen that special spirit 1st hand, that's why I want to become a part of it. I know I'll be happy there and I know that I can make a contribution to your society.<br /><br />Andrew, nah, my name "rudeafrican" comes from the fact that my boat runs twin evinrudes-: (Rude) and me being from africa = rudeafrican. I wanted to ship my boat over with me but space is limited so the only vehicle I'll take along will be my motorcycle. Somehow I don't think I'll end up with evinrudes again, probably look at some 4 stroke yamaha or similar so the name won't be rudeamerican!<br /><br />I'll catch u guys again and once again, thanks for the good wishes.