Reliable winter covering systems...

Dave Brick

Seaman
Hi everybody,

I live in the Great Lakes area, lake effect snow and all that. I can only store my boat outside in the driveway over the winter. Every year, I have had issues with puddling and eventual collapse of my winter cover. So far, I've been pretty fortunate, and have not suffered catastrophic damage to the boat interior.

1988 Sea Nymph Great Lakes Special 175

I just want a more reliable system. I'd also like to put a bimini cover on, for those sunny, still days on the water. Can a winter cover go right over the top of a raised bimini cover? Has anybody had better success than me in wintering a boat outside in a snowy environment?

Thanks for any help offered.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Reliable winter covering systems...

What kind of supporting frame are you using?

Dave Brick

Seaman

This year, I'm using a center post with 4 nylon straps. You cant even tell it's there anymore.

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Can a winter cover go right over the top of a raised bimini cover?

DON'T put your winter cover over your raised bimini. The bimini is unable to bear the weight of snow and will collapse.

What you need to do is essentially build a tent over your boat, with enough pitch on the surface to shed the snow. I built a frame consisting of two uprights and a crosspiece between them running lengthwise. Support ropes are tied from the frame to the fore and aft cleats. The support ropes keep the frame in place and also help support the tarp I draped over the whole assembly.
I intentionally left airspace at the ends of the tarp so it stays dry and ventilated inside.
Here's a picture:
Wintercover.jpg

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Being that it is already the end of February, concentrate on a solution for next year.

A pitched roof carport, or lean to.

My neighbor has a run a cable between his house and a tree, and uses it as a ridge pole, to make a tent shelter to park his boat under.

Bimini will NOT support the weight of the cover or the snow.

Dave Brick

Seaman

Does anybody have plans for a frame? What to use, galvanized pipe, PVC, wood?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Depends on budget, space available, and what you want.

All inside the boat?
Framework outside the boat?
Or 4x4 posts with roof over the driveway?

Anything that is gonna fit inside the boat, has to be custom configured to the boat.

What type/amount of lake effect snow are we talking about? Algoma Wisconsin, or Watertown NY ?

What do all your neighbors use?

You can actually make a pretty stout setup with 3 plastic garbage cans and 50' of 1/4" rope.