Reliable cheap car replacement?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Reliable cheap car replacement?

I would gladly sell my wife's 04 Kia Optima. That thing is horrible. It is worth about as much as the couches in my basement. If the OP is looking at spending 5k.....he isn't looking at one of the newer and better Kia's. He would be looking at a slightly prettier version of the pig I have.
:) Too be honest I know nothing about the older Kias and Hyundais.

I would always stick with used Toyotas and possibly some of the Hondas.

Pony

Rear Admiral

Hahahaha. But let me ask you this Pony. Did you buy it new, and who maintained it if anyone)? Seems to be just like the old Mercury vs. OMC battle. I'd rather have a well taken care of older Merc than a neglected newer OMC, and I've always had the hots for JohnnyRude.

P.S. I see that sexy tiller steer Johnson you have in your Avatar. Is that an 80's 9.9/15?

My wife bought it before we were married...to be fair she didn't maintain it as well as I would like her to have. Nothing wrong with it mechanically actually. 120k on it without anything major. The fit and finish is cheap. I broke off a huge chunk of the center console somehow, and the door handle on the drivers side has been rebuilt a couple of times now. For awhile you had to climb in the passenger side.

It is an 88' 25hp......noe that is something that runs like a champ and is worth something:)

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer

The engine has 265k miles on it and tranny 165k but titles in my dads name while i could pick apart the body panels and such he'd never let us have a junk car lying around haha. If it was up to me i would definitely part it out but alas it isn't. i think were going to look into the 98-02 accord v6s basically the same car just less sporty and more basic.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Yeah, the same quality with a smaller price tag. Sounds good to me. My bud just bought that exact car (not sure of exact year) it needs a little body work (trunk lid), but only has 120k miles and runs and drives great. He found it for 4600 here in Richmond. Pretty crazy!

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer

According to Consumer Reports Subaru, Toyota and Honda, in that order, make the most satisfying and reliable cars. With AWD, your Acura might not have gone astray.

You are used to a very good car. Don't settle for a Walmart quality car. My recommendation is a Subaru, Lexus, or another Honda/Acura.
He said cheap reliable; Hundai is both. I owned one and put 80k on it - never broke down. I gave it to my brother, and he drove it every work day for years - never broke down. He gave it to a local school while it was still running. My other brother put 120k on a differant one - never broke down. My mechanic friend/fishing buddy says they are the best buy for the money - I have 2, crown vics, 1, f250hd.
I no longer like small vehicles.

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Have a KIA Sorrento, only had a throttle positioning go bad, fixed for free and out within 2 hours.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

My go-to used car for years was a Buick Regal. Had a '91, '95, and an '00. They depreciated pretty fast so I was able to get loaded cars with a V6 and under a 100k miles for what I'd pay for a Camry/Accord with a 4 cylinder a ton of miles.

I've had better luck with the used cars I've bought with around 75k miles on them than I've had with the ones bought with around 30-40k on them. Seems they were better cared for and kept for at least the whole loan period and traded in nice shape. The newer ones were apparently friggin' ragged on and dumped as soon as they were paid down to break-even level. Had a '98 Olds Cutlass bought with 35k on it that was a lemon and an '07 Impala bought with about the same that was even worse. That car was so awesome we knee-jerk bought a brand new Accord to compensate. The Accord was nice but not nice enough to warrant the price premium over similar domestic cars. I traded it last year on my 2012 Fusion which I LOVE.

For $5k, I'd be looking for an '04 Regal.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

For $5k, I'd be looking for an '04 Regal.
For some reason my parents are also in love with Buicks. They don't hold a candle to a Camry in reliability.

That 98 Olds Cutlass that was a lemon is basically the same car as the same year Buick by the way. Your 2007 Impala that was worse...Buick Lacrosse with a different name on it.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

What ever the O.P. buys, I suggest bringing it to a trusted mechanic for a look-over (if the O.P. doesn't have the means to completely check it himself) before money changes hands.

Honda, Toyota, and a few others make solid reliable cars, but again I would put an emphasis on having them checked out before buying, especially if you are doing a private sale. Most of them have owners that are proud of there vehicles, and keep them in good shape. But there are a few folks out there that own these brands, and have the perception that since they have such a bullet prof car, there is no need to do any regular maintenance to them.

Oil changes are done every once in a while when they happen to remember it, and see a coupon in the Sunday flier. Air filters are changed when one of handful of mechanics who have looked at the car finally takes the initiative to check the filter and find its as black as your hat. Tranny fluid, well the transmission is shifting fine, doesn't need to be flushed. Same with the coolant. No problems with overheating, must be OK. Timing belt... what the heck is a timing belt? ;)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That 98 Olds Cutlass that was a lemon is basically the same car as the same year Buick by the way. Your 2007 Impala that was worse...Buick Lacrosse with a different name on it.

You're half right. There was no Buick version of the Cutlass/Mailbu.

The W-body LaCrosse was hideous thus removed from contention. The new Regal and the new LaCrosse (Malibu platform) are quite intriguing. I may go back to the General someday but for now, I'm quite pleased with my Ford. I've had a new Camry and a new Accord. Won't be back.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I personally think a trip to Swfl is in order to pick up a low mile condo car from the recently expired. Tons of luxury cars with almost no miles on them for very reasonable prices.

oldjeep

Admiral

I personally think a trip to Swfl is in order to pick up a low mile condo car from the recently expired. Tons of luxury cars with almost no miles on them for very reasonable prices.

Florida cars suck - the weather down there disolves rubber and plastic, you get the oddest problems with parts that never go bad up here. I can't believe how many of the dash knobs on my moms audi just turned to mush.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You're half right. There was no Buick version of the Cutlass/Mailbu.
Buick Skylark was the closest Buick equivalent but you are correct, not exact but very similar.

Summer Fun

Banned

Get a Hyundai Accent, We bought a brand new 2012 for under 14k fully loaded. :)

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer

What do you think of old jeeps? :)

Over 10 years old with 163,000. My DD & one of the most reliable vehicles I've owned. Not for everyone, but puts a smile on my every time I drive her. Can't say much for the rest of the Jeep line, but the old I6s are solid as they come.

IMG_2464.jpg