Reliability of 5.0 carb vs. 4.3 carb

roadranger

Cadet
I'm looking to buy a 19' runabout, and need to decide on powerplants. Other than the obvious power output increase of the 5.0 vs. the 4.3 Mercruiser, how is the reliability of each?<br /><br />Also, is the fuel consumption of the 5.0 considerably higher in a 19' boat?<br /><br />EDIT; this is on a new boat purchase<br /><br />Thanks for any help for a newbie!

magster65

Commander
Re: Reliability of 5.0 carb vs. 4.3 carb

Just my .02 but They are both good engines so you can't really go wrong there. I've always preferred V8's over the V6's. They aren't a whole lot faster due to the added weight but do have more torque for pulling. Also, V8's sound better than any other engine.<br />However, if fuel economy is your main concern, a V8 may not be the right choice for you.

roadranger

Cadet

Thanks magster65,<br /><br />Fuel economy is not a REAL big concern, unless this 5.0 sucks the fuel tank dry within 2 hours!<br />And I hear that the 5.5's can do just that...<br /><br />It's just that reading some of these I/O engine problem posts here that the 4.3 seems to come up quite often... is this just because they've been around longer?<br /><br />Or is the 5.0 inherently more trouble free- maybe because it doesn't work as hard?<br /><br />Anyway, thanks for your insite.

magster65

Commander

Either 5.0 liter (Ford or Chev.) have been around forever. Both having very good reliability. The frequency of posts refering to the V6's are because there's so many of them out there. I don't think you'll find a whole bunch of unhappy owners.

Doug Durako

Chief Petty Officer

I find the fuel economy quite good on my 19-foot I/O with the small block chevy 350.<br /><br />At the same RPM (2500--3000) we get to our destination quicker with a comfortable cruising speed of about 40.<br /><br />That compares with a cruising speed of about 30 (same RPM range) in our former rig which had the straight-6 Chevy truck motor. That was a 4 litre and a few horsepower shy of the new 4.3, but comparable because my old boat was 17 feet 6 inches and our new/used rig is 19 feet 2 inches.<br /><br />Also have noticed a BIG difference pulling up skiiers and tubes with 6 or 7 people in the boat---no problem for the V-8. The 6 used to struggle.<br /><br />My theory is get as much horsepower as you can afford. You don't have to use it all---but if you need it, it's there.

roadranger

Cadet

Thanks guys!<br />It looks like the 5.0 is the powerplant of choice.<br /><br />It's interesting to note that Sting Ray doesn't offer a 5.0 in their 19 ft boats, whereas other Mfg's do.

Doug Durako

Chief Petty Officer

It is my opinion, and I've stated it out here before, that most base boats are underpowered. The manufacturers want to be safe and they want to charge you $4k for motor upgrades. Look on Boattrader or other email lists for late model used boats. If you have time to wait, you can get a deal.<br /><br />Also, if you are running at higher altitude, look at fuel injection and check the drive ratio with a local source for the best combo.<br /><br />Good luck!