Registration

bbqkidd55

Recruit
I just bought an old alumacraft boat. It doesn’t have any sign of markings ie serial number. How do I go about registering my boat. It’s a 14 ft. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

briangcc

Commander
Contact your registering authority. DMV/BMV/Dept of Fisheries/etc.

They'll have the info needed to register the boat.

**Depending on where you live, without paperwork it can be a royal chore to register.

bbqkidd55

Recruit
Contact your registering authority. DMV/BMV/Dept of Fisheries/etc.

They'll have the info needed to register the boat.

**Depending on where you live, without paperwork it can be a royal chore to register.
Thanks, I live in West Texas so probably a pretty good chore. It has some faded stickers on it, not sure if that might help.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Nope faded sticker won't help, even unfaded wouldn't

Pix?

to start:
Type of boat? Flat bottom jon, semi V open utility, runabout, fiberglass or aluminum?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I just bought an old alumacraft boat. It doesn’t have any sign of markings ie serial number. How do I go about registering my boat. It’s a 14 ft. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
go back to the seller and get a bill of sale and a signed title/registration if you dont have it.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Thanks, I live in West Texas so probably a pretty good chore. It has some faded stickers on it, not sure if that might help.
Really depends on where you are. My brother went through the same registering an old Grumman 14 ft boat that belonged to my grandparents. Registration long gone etc after they passed … he went to the dmv they gave him a form , had to have a st trooper look at boat and make sure ther was no HIN and it wasnt reported stolen, they issued a new HiN . Wasnt pain free but wasnt terrible task either

thill

Seaman Apprentice
I've been through this several times in Virginia and North Carolina.

IF you can see the old registration numbers, or the number on the sticker, that makes your life a LOT easier.

Call the state, explain that you are trying to gain title and give them the numbers. Depending on the state, they may give you the HIN (if there is one) and also give you the process to get title. Typically, it's contact the last known owner, and if he has no interest, you get it.

I did a 16' Spectrum just this week. A renter abandoned it in VA a few years abo when they moved away. Property owner had tried to get title, but to no avail. I was able to find a shadow in the gelcoat of what the old registration numbers were, and they were N.C. numbers. I called NC wildlife, and yes, it was a NC boat.

From there, it was easy. They gave me PO's contact info and I had to attempt to contact him. Sent a certified letter to his home, and also found him on Whitepages. He had no interest in the boat, so I sent everything in, including his new contact info, and 3 days later, I had my temporary registration to use until the new one comes in with the title.

I have a 12' jon boat that has never been registered. Unfortunately, the previous owner refuses to sign anything. He refuses to answer my calls after getting paid. Because of that, I have to possess the boat for a year before I can apply for title. Annoying, but that's the law in VA. My time will be up next month, and then I'll get it done. Should be a great pond-hopper. I can use it now, but with oars only. Not into that!

jbcurt00

Staff member
VA & NC process is mostly irrelevant to Texas process, which is the only 1 that matters as its where the OP lives

airshot

Rear Admiral
Nope faded sticker won't help, even unfaded wouldn't

Pix?

to start:
Type of boat? Flat bottom jon, semi V open utility, runabout, fiberglass or aluminum?
Only if that sticker has some numbers on it. Some states have stickers that have identity numbers on the sticker itself, which might be able to trace back to the boat. Just a thought.....