Reggie White dies

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
One of the Packers greats has died.<br />He died this morning from a massive heart attack. He was 43 years young.

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant
Re: Reggie White dies

Hard to believe a guy that young could have a heart attack. I'd have thought he'd still be in pretty good shape. It hasn't been that long since he played. To bad.

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

When an athlete dies that young I right away think about steroid abuse or coke, etc. Might not be the cause here but it's happened to other young athletes in the past. You never know though.. I had a heart attack when I was 45 and never used steroids or cocaine....so I could be wrong about Reggie White.

11 footer

Lieutenant

It happens a lot with these big football players when they retire,, he was a BIG guy. When he played he was over 300, and chances are he blew up even bigger once he retired.<br /><br />These guys bulk themselfs up bigger then they are ment to be and their hearts can't handle it.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Yes he was a big boy......and yes it can be hard on the heart.He was one of the best defensive players ever but what I loved him for was what kind of a person he was off the the field. He has my my upmost rrespect. AE708 Im am positive he was never into drugs and I cant imagine he used steriods as well. He spoke out against drugs all the time and was ordaned as a Reverend I beleive

SpinnerBait_Nut

M&R, he was a pastor but in recent years had got away from the church. It was said that he had not been to church in 4 years.<br />His wife was diagnosed with MS a couple year back I think.<br />He had also quit going to the gym and working out.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

My alma mater is having a bitter-sweet day. <br /><br />Fans and alumni of U. of Tenn. lost a record setting alumnus, Reggie White, and gained another, Peyton Manning.

Stratosfied

Ensign

MSN has a post where his wife said he died of respirtory distress due to sleep apena. This is tragic.

11 footer

Lieutenant

I heard the respirtory distress/sleep apena thing on the radio tonight, too

mattttt25

Commander

yes, we lost an EAGLES great. loved watching him while growing up. the minister of defense. member of quite possibily the best d-line ever.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Yea the nfl is back stepping now and saying unknown.<br />Also msnbc is saying unknown but that he did have a problem when he was sleeping.<br /><br />Does not matter really, still a big loss to the football community.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by SBN:<br /> Does not matter really, still a big loss to the football community.
No it does not matter at all. He's still just as dead. Forget about football, the community at large lost a great individual. Our kids need more heroes like him to look up to. Seems we have fewer everyday. :(

SpinnerBait_Nut

update:<br />Early report: White died from lung ailment <br /><br /> <br />NFL.com wire reports <br /><br />CHARLOTTE, N.C. (Dec. 27, 2004) -- NFL great Reggie White may have died because of a respiratory disease combined with other health problems, a preliminary autopsy report said Dec. 27. <br /><br />White most likely had a condition that affected the amount of air his lungs could hold, resulting in "fatal cardiac arrhythmia," said Dr. Mike Sullivan, the medical examiner for Mecklenburg County and a forensic pathologist. <br /><br />The report issued by Sullivan's office also said sleep apnea may have been a factor. <br /><br />The report is a preliminary one; determining a final cause of death could take up to three months, Sullivan's office said. <br /><br />White died Dec. 26 at Presbyterian Hospital in Huntersville after being taken there from his home in nearby Cornelius. His wife, Sara, called 911. <br /><br />White had the disease, known as sarcoidosis, for several years, family spokesman Keith Johnson said. He described it as a respiratory ailment that affected his sleep. <br /><br />On its Web site, the American Lung Association describes sarcoidosis as a disease characterized by the presence of small areas of inflamed cells that can attack any organ of the body but is most frequently found in the lungs. <br /><br />The cause of the disease, which is most common among blacks and white northern Europeans, is not known. <br /><br />Sleep apnea causes people to stop breathing repeatedly -- in some cases, hundreds of times -- during their sleep. <br /><br />White and his wife lived in a gated community on Lake Norman. They had two children, Jeremy, a freshman at Elon College in Elon, and a daughter, Jecolia, a junior high school. <br /><br />A public viewing will be held 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. Dec. 29 at A.L. Jinwright Funeral Service in Charlotte. A private service also will be held, although the details won't be made public, the funeral home said. <br /><br />A two-time NFL Defensive Player of the Year and ordained minister who was known as the "Minister of Defense," White played 15 seasons with Philadelphia, Green Bay and Carolina. He retired after the 2000 season as the NFL's career sacks leader with 198. The mark has since been passed by Bruce Smith. <br /><br />A member of the NFL's 75th anniversary team, White was elected to the Pro Bowl a record 13 straight times from 1986-98. He was the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year in 1987 and 1998. <br /><br />He retired -- for the third time -- from the Panthers at the age of 39. <br /><br />White worked tirelessly in the offseason with inner-city youths. But his image was tarnished when he gave a speech in which he denounced homosexuality and used ethnic stereotypes.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

EDITED:<br />Update - The University of Tennessee retired the number 92 of Reggie White in a pre-game ceremony. They played Ole Miss today.<br /><br />I understand Green Bay retired his number 92 during a half-time ceremony last month.

txswinner

Banned

Yes it does matter and the fact he was not a druggie is important also. There are still really good people in this country.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

Mr White is a person who exemplified leadership and motivation. I thank the man, and pray for blessings for his family. Nuff said by me my friends....

muskyone

Master Chief Petty Officer

green bay retired his number this year to