Regarding kicker outboards with same HP but different displacement

stjernefodt

Seaman Apprentice
I'm in the process of buying a 6 HP 4-stroke kicker for my 16'5 boat. My boat with 3 guys and gear weighs about 1600 lbs (main engine is a Yamaha F50 4S).

I've narrowed down my choices to a 2010 Suzuki 6 HP (single cylinder 55 lbs), which has a displacement of 138 cc, and a Yamaha 6 HP (twin cylinder 83 lbs) which has a displacement of 197 cc (same as the larger F8). Both outboards cost the same.

My question is, will I notice any drastic difference in torque and speed between the two at both lower and WOT RPMs? Can't decide!

Thanks in advance for your help.

bassman284

Commander
Re: Regarding kicker outboards with same HP but different displacement

I'll describe my own experience and take it from there.

I have a 17 foot Lund with a 60hp 4stroke Merc. I have a 9.9hp 4 stroke Merc kicker. Boat dry weight is 850, probably weighs about 1200 with me and stuff aboard. Kicker pushes me about 7 mph at WOT, about 6.5mph at half throttle. In other words, you won't go fast with the kicker and never achieve true "WOT".

I'm not sure that displacement matters. The 9.9 is 208cc. The fact is, when you set a kicker off to the side there are a whole lot of things working against it and about all you will do is putt around. A 6hp is not going to move you fast no matter what the displacement so get the cheap one. If the same price, go with the quiet one, probably the Yammie, although the light weight of the Suzuki is a big argument in its favor.

Just to add, my 9.9 weighs 105 lb. Newer versions weigh a little less.

stjernefodt

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Regarding kicker outboards with same HP but different displacement

Yes both are the same price. and I'm leaning towards the Yamaha because of the quietness. The Suzuki is relatively quiet at low RPMs, but since I intend to troll at 5 to 6 mph, I guess it's gonna be noisy most of the time.

Something else that I'm considering is the extra weight of the Yamaha over the Suzuki. The Yammie is 30 lbs heavier. With my main engine at 237 lbs and the kicker at 83 lbs I should be right at 320 lbs, while my transom is rated at 350 lbs.

Will running in chop with my main engine (and the Yamaha kicker tilted up) damage my transom If I bounce from wave to wave?

Also bassman, how much top end speed do you loose on your 60 HP with your kicker, compared to not mounting it?