Regal Commodore 2665 5.7OSXI, engine will not start, making NO turn over noise when turning key.

MrSpaceman

Recruit
Hi all, brand new here! Posting on behalf of my father who bought the boat in working condition and can’t get it to start now. As stated in the title the boat won’t start, when the key is turned over the only noise we hear is what I believe would be the bilge pump making a “whirring” or “humming” sound. No classic sound of a starter engaging or a engine attempting to turn over.

I believe the culprit could be the gear/throttle lever seems to get stuck when going back and forth thus making the boat believe it’s not actually in neutral. Upon looking at the mechanism behind the panel it seems to be a bootleg repair with zip ties for a guide to engage the gear position. Safety lanyard is plugged in, new batteries bought yesterday, checked the terminals and wires to starter (may have to take a further look)

Is there a mechanism that prevents the boat from starting if this isn’t aligned properly?

Is there an easy way to realign it if that’s the issue?

Any other suggestions on what to look for would be GREATLY appreciated!

ChrisinPHX

Seaman
Post this in either the Volvo Penta forum. You will have much better luck. This isn't a Regal specific issue.

alldodge

Staff member
Need more info and agree should be in VP area
Might just be a bad starter
When key is turned, the starter bendix or solenoid should push the gear into the ring gear. If this isn't happening, then may just be a stater issue, or wiring