Refinishing Teak Platform

JGregory614

Cadet
My brother and I just bought our first boat this week. It has a rough looking teak swim platform. We sanded it some last night but I was wondering if we would be better off to do which of the following...

Sand it down, clean it, oil it?

sand it, clean it, oil it, then clear or poly it?

sand it, clean it a little, paint it?

I also read where someone mentioned having it sprayed by rhino lining. Has anyone else tried that?

Thanks!

rickryder

Commander
Re: Refinishing Teak Platform

My brother and I just bought our first boat this week. It has a rough looking teak swim platform. We sanded it some last night but I was wondering if we would be better off to do which of the following...

Sand it down, clean it, oil it?

sand it, clean it, oil it, then clear or poly it?

sand it, clean it a little, paint it?

I also read where someone mentioned having it sprayed by rhino lining. Has anyone else tried that?

Thanks!
Welcome Aboard!
I would go with a teak cleaner then Cetol finish. They sell it here on iboats http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Re..._category.f--**********.794699948--view_id.11

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats. OUCH do not use rhino lining.........yuck.

Use a teak repair kit and sand it then oil it. Done properly and it will look as good as the day it was new. Many iboater's here have done some amazing teak restorations.

Look at this post for some nice teak clean-up :) http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=444342&highlight=teak

barbosam

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I hate wood on boats but even I think Rhino lining on teak is blasphemy!:facepalm: I would also question its ability to stick to the teak because of the natural oils found in the wood.

Teak oil is your best bet, it will be the easiest to maintain. When it starts looking dull just rub a little more oil on it and its good as new again.

The cetol is good stuff too but will be a little more work to apply and reapply when it starts looking dull again.

robert graham

Admiral

Clean/bleach with Oxalic Acid(Hardware store), or bleach, wire wool it smooth, then teak oil, more wire wool, more teak oil...it'll look like fine furniture!

pole position

Petty Officer 2nd Class

At our yard, we like Snappy Teak products.It's a 2 step process but the results speak for themselves,looks like you sanded a lot. Let dry and a couple coats of Cetol and you're good to go.

JGregory614

Cadet

I think we'll just sand it some clean it up and go with the teak oil. Thanks for the help!

MRS

Commander

When I got my new old boat had to redo all the teak on it. Used star brite kit has three parts but I did sand real good first. Plus when you get to the leave oil on for five minutes I would leave on all nite wipe down the next day and do again. Came out nice then just wipe down with teak oil every now and then. If you do a coating deal and do not do it right or stay on top of it it will look gross and a real pain to get off......